Yeast for Yooper's Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Other than 1335 and 1450, what are some other Wyeast strains that work well with Yooper's Oatmeal Stout? What about anything from Omega?

Austin Homebrew Supply had been my go-to since the LHBS closed in October. But I refuse to pay $9.99 for a single pack at AHS and then another $7.99 for them to ship it to Plano (a suburb of Dallas). There are a couple places in Ft Worth that I can go to. Though they don't have 1335 or 1450, their prices are better and they're (somewhat) local.

I’d go wigs dry yeast, say US-05.
I no longer have a local supplier of Wyeast and I’m not willing to neuter either a 2+ hour drive nor rely on shipping, packing, etc. by online suppliers.

For stout, I literally use whatever's cheap. It's more about the malt than the yeast. I used Munton's ale yeast in my last batch and was happy with it. I think it was like $1.99.

For stout, I literally use whatever's cheap. It's more about the malt than the yeast. I used Munton's ale yeast in my last batch and was happy with it. I think it was like $1.99.
This ☝. Stout is definitely not yeast focused.
I think Muntons is a highly under appreciated yeast. The 6 gram size is perfect for smaller batches.

Back