Yeast for Wit vs Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharmguy

Reaction score
Is the yeast used for Hefes and Wits the same? I used a WLP 400 for my Hefe and want to make a Wit now. The WLP 400 seems to be the yeast of choice for Wits. If so, they are basically the same minus the fruit addition at the end for the wit.?.?.?

WLP 300 is the hefeweizen yeast
WLp 400 is the Belgian Wit yeast.

You are either confused, or your HBS sold you the wrong yeast for your HefeWeizen.

Learn all about White Labs Yeast.

It was WLP 400 so they sold me the wrong stuff. ?!.>!??>!

I am shooting for a blue moon type wit. All extract so hard to do. After 2 hours of searching this forum, I came up with what looks like The hefe I made. So I will be making pretty much the same thing and adding orange and corriander at the end. Good times.

400 should make a good wit, it must have made an interesting Hefe, how was that? If you like wits try wyeast forbidden fruit(its stinks when fermenting) but it make a damn good Wit

The Hefe was OK. It was gone in 2 weeks so it couldnt of been too bad. It had a strong bannana smell/taste. I am reading now that the 400 doesnt give off that much bannana flavor so the whole thing is kind of strange.:cross:

If you want Blue Moon, use S-05 dry yeast since it's not really a Wit. It's basically a dumbed down version to market to the public.

Don't get me wrong, it can be quite refreshing, but it's not a Wit.

Just brewed my first wit using WLP400 and I use WLP300 for my hefes about every 4-5 batches. They are completly different yeasts used to ferment a fairly similar recipe. I detect no similarities other than the "breadiness" from the wheat, and definately no bananna esters with the 400.

Its all kinds of crazy! Hefe/Wit/extract/PM/ this yeast and that yeast/ steep this but cant steep that, :confused:. Im just going to turn it into an american wheat and add some orange/corriander at the end.

Back