Yeast for the price it used to be!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LHBS I visit has Wyeast (which is what I use for all beer and cider). Cost has gone from $6 per pack to $8 per pack over the past ~5 years. Harvesting the yeast from batches makes me not really care, since I'm only planning to purchase fresh yeast infrequently (maybe once, or twice, a year). You get more harvests per purchase of liquid yeast compared with dry yeast. ;)

The LHBS I visit has Wyeast (which is what I use for all beer and cider). Cost has gone from $6 per pack to $8 per pack over the past ~5 years. Harvesting the yeast from batches makes me not really care, since I'm only planning to purchase fresh yeast infrequently (maybe once, or twice, a year). You get more harvests per purchase of liquid yeast compared with dry yeast. ;)

well, i'm going to pitch the "san diego" pacific ale yeast here in a few hours....i'll report if the "high" flocc is true....and flavor wise, not that i have much of a sense of taste...

That(500g) is enough yeast for 45-50 batches, who wants to brew the same beer and use the same yeast for that long?
Or just use the same yeast for that long.

45 brews with a re-pitch here and there, now we are up to ~70 batches of the same yeast.

Sure I have 16 faucets, four with hard ciders, margarita, and lemonade, and three different Saisons (barrel aged funky, clean super, black) with the same yeast (Wy3711), but that many beers of the same yeast. Sure, one could divide it down and seal each packet, but still. For most that would be years of the same yeast. Even you you, brewing once a week, a year of the same yeast, to me that would be just boring. But, to each their own.

A LOT of people are happy drinking the same brand for their entire lives.....yeast is not something i'm worried about varying batch to batch....

I use the same yeast (WY1318) for a lot of my recipes. I'm actually looking to use it for all but the odd recipe that benefits highly from a different yeast.

I have zero desire to try any dry yeasts for my beers.

I use the same yeast (WY1318) for a lot of my recipes. I'm actually looking to use it for all but the odd recipe that benefits highly from a different yeast.

I have zero desire to try any dry yeasts for my beers.

my primary desire in a yeast is, something that ferments. and then drops like a rock when it's done....

my primary desire in a yeast is, something that ferments. and then drops like a rock when it's done....
WY1318 covers that without issue. ;) High flocculation rating and ferments really well. Most of my recipes with it are pretty much done within 3-5 days of pitching (depending on lag time and OG). Plus it's really good for the styles I'm brewing.

I was using WY1318 before the whole NEIPA thing started. The store used to only get a couple packs at a time. Now they order tons and it sells fast. Good for me, when I want a new pack since it's going to be a recent manufacture date.

I was using WY1318 before the whole NEIPA thing started.
High flocculation rating

for some reason for the cloudy thing, i'd think flocculation would be bad? lol ;)

i only used 2ozs in this stuff i'm drinking, it's a milk white tan! but i figure i can use the vitamins...and also, i hope this new stuff is better then the premeire classique...

IIRC, they do something else to get the 'hazy IPA' effect. Since 1318 will drop clear if you treat it right. Use it in my ordinary bitter and English IPA and both are NOT 'hazy'.

Latest posts

Back