Yeast for Sam Adams Irish Red Ale & Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
So I tried SA Irish Red yesterday and have decided it's a darn fine brew! It has a fantastic irish character from the yeast. Anyone know which yeast they use for this and any input on ferm temps? My obvious guess is the Irish Ale yeast from Wyeast/WhiteLabs, but this is wonderfully strong for such a small bier.

Also thoughts on recipe. I've brewed an IRA before, it came out fairly close to Smithwicks. To me this is a quite different bier, certainly not as roasty, more caramel, & I just love the yeast character & mouthfeel.

Schlante & thanks,
Phillip

I'm making this for the SWMBO - you should check out Sam's site, they give a lot of detail on their brews. I use Wyeast 1084 or Danstar Notty - both work really well.

Brewsheet: Sam's Irish Red
Irish Red Ale
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Prepare Yeast Starter Amount Item Type
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Mash or Steep Grains
Ingredients for Mashing Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
1.75 lb Pale Malt - 2 Row (Cargill) (2.0 SRM) Grain 17.95 %
1.50 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
45 min Mash
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.041

Boil Ingredients Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops
30 min 0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops
15 min 0.25 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops
10 min 0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Ingredients for Fermentation Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale
Primary fermentation (7 days at 70.0 F)
Secondary fermentation (7 days at 68.0 F)

Enjoy!

Thanks for pointing out the SA website reference, been years since I had visited there. I'm sure I'll simply go with the 1084.

Btw from the SA website it looks like it's just 2 row & crystal 60! The website list the grains as 2 row Harrington, Metcalf, & Crystal 60.

Schlante,
Phillip

Yeah I'm thinking the Harrington and such are not too different, my LHBS has them from Gambrinius (as one). I shot for the grain style, flavor & color whereas the ones they list out are primarily organic from Canada from what I can gather. I can't find more info on them nor for Beer Smith. I'm definitely brewing this up along with some Sam's Lager....

Why is the secondary fermentation? Sorry if this is too obvious, I am new on the brewing

Traditionally moving beer to a secondary fermenter after active fermentation was complete was an attempt to aid in getting the yeast to drop/flocculate out of suspension. Professional brewers with conical fermenters and glycol jacketed fermenters are able to aid yeast flocculation without moving the beer. However study has shown secondary fermentation as in moving the beer to a new fermenter doesn't accomplish a lot and there are actually dangers from it. This is an old thread and a lot of brewers now skip a secondary fermenter. Like most of us sometimes I do it, as in when it's necessary for wood aging or I need the yeast-cake, and sometimes I don't.

I'm always surprised at what threads get a zombie resurrection. I clicked this one not realizing it was my thread. I was going to comment that the Sam Adams ira was a much underrated beer. Guess my taste haven't changed much in a decade.

If I use Saf yeast, wich one should I pick instead of the notty?

I'm always surprised at what threads get a zombie resurrection. I clicked this one not realizing it was my thread. I was going to comment that the Sam Adams ira was a much underrated beer. Guess my taste haven't changed much in a decade.

Hey - pretty funny I came back to see if others had more recipes on SA IRA. and realized I was in on this thread. Been away from the brew game for a few years now (new kid)

How did your clone turn out?

Back