Yeast for Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I just brewed up an Octoberfest. I didn't rally pay any attention to yeast people were using. Just assumed it was Wyeast Octoberfest lager yeast. Seems most recipes I see on here use Bavarian Lager or Bohemian lager yeast

Any suggestions to as why, for next time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

For my brown ales, Oktoberfests, and saisons, I use Nottingham as a good old standby. No particular reason, it just seems to have worked well for me in the past, why mess with a good thing?

My Oktoberfest that is currently fermenting is using WY2206 but my favorite all around "house" lager strain is WLP830 which also works well.

I used WLP838 - Southern German Lager - last year in my O'fest, and it worked well. I'm using it again this year (just cold crashed my starter). Last year it was an extract recipe, and this year is all-grain, so I wanted to keep the yeast and hops the same, since I was adjusting the grains. I've also heard good things about 830, and may try that one next year to see how it compares...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm another guy in favor of WLP830, but nearly all German lager yeast is acceptable.

Nottingham is an ale yeast. It's a good choice for those who don't have the ability to lager, but it won't technically be an Oktoberfest.

Another vote for 830. Makes a great ofest and can be used in other lager styles with good results.

Because Nottingham isn't a lager yeast and you aren't really making a saison if you use Nottingham?

I guess I'll keep my opinions to myself, you really don't like the way I use my yeasts so I'll make sure I don't ask you for advice in the future.

I guess I'll keep my opinions to myself, you really don't like the way I use my yeasts so I'll make sure I don't ask you for advice in the future.

The point he is trying to make is that you can't say you brewed a certain style if the yeast isn't in the same ballpark. The yeast is the star in a saison, so Nott isn't going to give that spicy, belgian characteristic associated with that style. It's like saying you use 1098 for your German hefes... No hard feelings though

Back to the OP, I've got a Vienna lager going right now with wyeast Munich lager, so I'm going to give that a go next at an Oktoberfest and see how it fares

You asked a question and I answered it. You may make beer anyway you wish. That is your right. However, please don't pass off beers brewed out of style off as that style. Note that post has a couple of 'likes'. There is a reason for that. People were seconding what I said. This is the "Fermentation & Yeast" section. People come here to explore different yeasts. You seem to be stuck on one instead of experiencing and understanding what these others bring to the table. Notty can be neutral and used at low temp so it can approach what a lager yeast can do but not duplicate it. Saison? No. Simply no.

That's like the guy that said he is brewing a Wit with US-05. Not sure that fits the style. ...but to each his own. Nottingham might make a great Aletoberfest or Mocktoberfest though. Never tried it.

How about W34/70 for your Octoberfest? I'm been using dry yeast lately and have really been successful.

How about W34/70 for your Octoberfest? I'm been using dry yeast lately and have really been successful.
W34/70 is my new love, and I'm currently fermenting an Oktoberfest with it, and I'm sure it'll be great. Dry lager yeast is great since you don't need to mess with starters and you can be certain you have strong healthy yeast. I found liquid yeasts to be so inconsistent despite making big starters. My beers with W34/70 don't seem to clear very well though.

I've done O'fests the last 3 years (4th going right now). First two years was W-34/70 and turned out great. Last year I used S-23 and it was just so-so.

This year I went right back to W-34/70. Love it!

I think I'm going to pitch a big Baltic Porter on top of the cake when the O'fest is done too.

The only O-fest I've done was with East Coast Yeast Munich Fest yeast. It turned out awesome and wish I would have washed that yeast. Having said that you can't loose with german lager yeast. :)

I typically only use three lager strains, and maybe a fourth.

Weihenstephan W34/70, a German lager strain. This is Saflager W34/70, WLP830 and WYeast 2124.

Carlsberg's yeast ("Bottom Number 1"), a neutral and high-attenuating lager strain. This is Danstar Diamond Lager, WLP850 and WYeast 2042. This is the most used lager strain worldwide.

Negra Modelo's yeast, which is sort of in between. This is WLP940, and I hear a dry version might be out soon.

You can also make a case for the Budweiser yeast, which apparently is the origin of Charlie Papazian's house strain (a la 30 years ago). It throws some sour apple, though, so...

Edit: To answer your question, any of the three will work great for an Ofest. I personally like the Modelo strain the best of the three, but for convenience it's hard to beat two packs of 34/70 dry yeast...

Sorry if you're offended. It's not the desired goal here. The point he's trying to make is that yeast makes beer. As a brewer you make yeast food. You feed the yeast and then drink what is left.

Being the case, English yeast makes English styles, Belgian yeast makes Belgian styles, etc, etc. Certain strains of yeast are used for certain styles of beer because they produce the flavor profiles associated with that beer.

In another thread about barleywine someone asked if making their english barley wine more bitter than BJCP guidelines turned it into an american barleywine. My response there was no. If you're using an English yeast you're making an English barleywine. Yours will just be more bitter.

Sorry if you're offended. It's not the desired goal here. The point he's trying to make is that yeast makes beer. As a brewer you make yeast food. You feed the yeast and then drink what is left.

Being the case, English yeast makes English styles, Belgian yeast makes Belgian styles, etc, etc. Certain strains of yeast are used for certain styles of beer because they produce the flavor profiles associated with that beer.

In another thread about barleywine someone asked if making their english barley wine more bitter than BJCP guidelines turned it into an american barleywine. My response there was no. If you're using an English yeast you're making an English barleywine. Yours will just be more bitter.

he and I settled this through pm's, and I concede I have a lot to learn about using correct yeast to style.

I brewed an Oktoberfest using the Oztoberfest recipe found here on homebrewtalk. I used WLP830. It is probably one of the best beers I ever made.

Back