Yeast for Munich Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need to do a lager for a party at the end of August and I feel like a Helles. I am trying to decide between Wyeast Munich Lager (2308) and Wyeast Bohemian Lager (2124). Wyeast suggests the Bohemiam Lager but I'm torn because I have the Munich Lager yeast in the fridge already. :)

I have no problem ordering the Bohemiam yeast, just wondering if I can save the $20 and go with the Munich yeast. Does anyone have any experience/preference either way?

I recommend Saflager W-34/70 to forego the hassle of a starter. It's allegedly the same strain as Wyeast 2124 (and, therefore WLP830). I've made a German Pils with it that is fantastic and just brewed a Helles with it that is near the end of primary. Use 2 packs per ~5+ gallons and follow the Fermentis instructions for re-hydration... and pitch cold.

I used to use WLP830 (2124) for all my Helles, but have switched to this dry yeast because it tastes the same to me.

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read your post. I never used it but I'm sure the 2308 would make a fine Helles since you already have it.

I have used the 34-70 yeast with great success in huge batches and would not in a minute hesistate to use it on 10-15 gallons.

2308 seems like the 1968 of lager yeasts: useful, friendly, flocculent, and low-attenuating. I'd say if you're going big for style, get the drier (attenuating) yeast.

My 1.055 Dortmunder with 2308 was definitely on the sweet side. A 1.043 Vienna with 2308 was just right.

I use 2308 for my Munich Dunkel and it is excellent so I have no complaints with the yeast itself. I was just curious how well it would work with a much more delicate Helles. Sounds like it will work pretty well so it would be worth the try.

Well I'm about halfway through sparging right now. Turns out it will be more of a golden helles than a straw coloured one. I thought I had some carapils in stock but I was mistaken. Used about 4% light munich instead. I considered going with 100% pilsener malt but I don't have time to do a decoction like I'd want to with that grist.

My first brew in a few months so I lowered my efficiency calculations figuring I'd be rusty. I guess it's like riding a bike though because I hit my usual numbers and got 90%. So I overshot my target OG but only by 4 points and it's still within the style. This isn't exactly a bitter beer so I hope it won't be too noticeable but it should still be tasty, the hydrometer sample was delicious!

Sounds great! Now only 8-10 weeks until you can drink it.;)

I just transfered my Helles to lagering today. 6 weeks to go!... well more like 7 to give it a week in the keg.:(

Unfortunately if that's all I need, yes. :( $8.79CAD for the yeast plus another $9-10CAD for shipping. Or I can make the 1hr (1 way) trip to the closest 'L'HBS which carries liquid yeast. In my truck at current gas prices it would cost me even more.

Unfortunately the homebrewing community in Canada isn't what it is in the US. Considering what we have to pay for beer I've always found it surprising.

I am excited to hear how this turns out. I am brewing a Helles with W34-70. It sure was nice not making a starter...

I just tasted my Helles today at secondary racking time (brewed with W34/70). This is my second batch with this yeast and it's just as good as the first. W34/70 is officially my lager yeast now. Can't believe I used to make two stepped-up 1-gallon starters for my 10+ gallon batches!:cross:

Back