Yeast for ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working up a recipe for an ESB. I'm leaning toward s-04, but is there a liquid that's substantially better for an ESB?

Thanks

I use S-04 and/or Nottingham. I like my ESBs on the dry side though. No need to pay extra $$$ for liquid yeast on that beer...

WLP002 and Wyeast 1968 are both much better than S-04 in my opinion, but I use the S-04 in emergencies and it isn't bad.

-a.

I would agree those liquid yeast are better than s-04 for an ESB. I did not like how dry the S-04 left the beer. I will probably give the Windsor a try in the future, but for now I will stick with WLP002.

OK, I guess I'll pony up the bucks for the liquid. Really, it's the convenience even more than the $$. I always have dry in the fridge. It's reliable and easy, but I want my ESB to taste like an ESB.

After about 4 PMs, I think it will be my first AG.

So far in my bitters I've used s-04, notty, WLP005 and WLP023, and the 023, burton ale yeast, as by far been my fav, of course, I love the crazy fruity esters that that one gives.

+1 for 1968. My ESB has only been in primary for a week and I can't stop pulling gravity samples! I wanted a low attenuating yeast for a nice sweet malty finish and helped things out by mashing at 159F. It has gone from 1.049 to 1.024 while fermenting at the low side of the spectrum for 1968, 66F, since I wanted to emphasize the maltiness rather than the fruity esters. I'm not even sure it is going to make it under 1.020 at this point but given how good what is in primary tastes, I could care less.

OK, I guess I'll pony up the bucks for the liquid. Really, it's the convenience even more than the $$. I always have dry in the fridge. It's reliable and easy, but I want my ESB to taste like an ESB.

After about 4 PMs, I think it will be my first AG.

Start saving and re-pitching your yeast. Then you will always have a slurry in the fridge.

Back