Yeast for Dunkelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey, all. I went off a Northern Brewer recipe when shopping for supplies for a Dunkelweizen, and as the LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast #3333, as the recipe called for. The equivalency chart gave White Labs 380 (Hefeweizen IV), which I have since been reading negative things about...too much clove, too spicy--after all, I'll be drinking this during the summer.

Does anyone else have any experience with White Labs 380, any advice?

Thanks,

CB

Thanks, Ed. Jamil was talking about how much he didn't like it, so I was worried.

I am using washed 3068 on a Dunkelweizen right now. The hydro sample I just pulled from the primary tastes pretty good. It's not overly fruity witch is what I was kind of worried about. It was fermented cool between 62-64 degrees in the basement.

Thanks, Ed. Jamil was talking about how much he didn't like it, so I was worried.

Which episode. I thought I remembered him saying he liked WLP300 or 3068. I'm pretty sure they are both the Weihenstephan strain. With either yeast, don't ferment over 70 to avoid esters.

Which episode. I thought I remembered him saying he liked WLP300 or 3068. I'm pretty sure they are both the Weihenstephan strain. With either yeast, don't ferment over 70 to avoid esters.

It was the Dunkelweizen episode: PodcastDirectory | Episode: Dunkelweizen - The Jamil Show 04-07-08 Podcast

He says "WLP 300 is the yeast to use," when asked about alternative yeasts (towards the end of the show). "I've tried them made with other strains, like WLP380, and I didn't like it."

But now, looking at our thread, I see the confusion. I'm talking about WLP 380, you're talking about Wyeast 3068.

just FYI, I tried danstar munich dry for a dunkelweizen and it just doesn't have that hefe taste, which has been discovered before, i just thought i'd share my experience.

I like 3068 and just used it on a hefe two weeks ago (and will re-use it this weekend). If you want to minimize the banana scents/flavors you could ferment at a lower temp, say 64-65. I belive that will bring out more of the clove flavor though. It's a give and take, but like I said, I like 3068.

It was the Dunkelweizen episode: PodcastDirectory | Episode: Dunkelweizen - The Jamil Show 04-07-08 Podcast

He says "WLP 300 is the yeast to use," when asked about alternative yeasts (towards the end of the show). "I've tried them made with other strains, like WLP380, and I didn't like it."

But now, looking at our thread, I see the confusion. I'm talking about WLP 380, you're talking about Wyeast 3068.

Yea that makes sense. WLP 380 is a different beast. WLP 300 and Wyeast 3068 are interchangeable.

Yea that makes sense. WLP 380 is a different beast. WLP 300 and Wyeast 3068 are interchangeable.

How different a beast? Different enough that you wouldn't use it? What would you use it for?

Back