Yeast for 1 Gallon Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFamato

Reaction score
If I were to make a 1 gallon batch of cider instead of a 5 gallon batch recipe which asks for 6 grams of yeast. How much yeast would I add to the 1 gallon batch? 1 or 2 grams?

Quick question. Does it matter? What's the problem if you add a whole packet of dry yeast? I mean, aside from using more than you need.

Slightly off topic, but I've recently brewed 2 batches from a single Bavarian yeast packet. I added about half to a starter of honey, yeast nutrient, and water and let that bloom for a day few days before brewing. That batch seems to have fermented well and it's in the secondary now. The packet was stored rolled up in the freezer. The second starter was done with the other half of the packet a few days before brewing and it's in the last stages of heavy fermentation. Is there anything wrong with not using the full packet, or were the problems remedied by making a starter? Could the same be done for a few 1 gallon batches of cider?

You would almost have to figure using the whole packet would be like using a starter for normal 5 gallon batches....I would use the whole thing.

1 gallon batches are fantastic for this reason. 1/2 pack of dry yeast, not even rehydrated plows through beers, even close to 10%.

I just pitched 1/3 of a pack of Notty into my 7.4% IPA and the krausen had already fallen after 60 hours. You can also pitch a whole pack for lagers, even strong ones.

On the otherhand, someone will link to malty's soon and yell at us for not pitching the correct amount

;)

So if I pintched 2 oz of yeast for a 1 gallon batch, I should be fine?

I've always just pitched half a pack. It will always be enough, with the possible exception of something like a huge doppelbock or something else that is a really high gravity lager. Then I might consider pitching a whole pack.

Yea I meant 2 grams. The OG is around 1.066. ABV I don't know. Hoping to finish around 7 - 10% alcohol.

Quick question: when you guys do this are you just closing the leftover packet with a clip and putting it in the fridge until your next 1g batch?

Not sure exactly but I know the yeast pack says use within 1 month after opening. So I plan on trying to formulate other batches before that month is up. I would hate to waste good yeast.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will try 3 grams with this batch and see what happens.

Quick question: when you guys do this are you just closing the leftover packet with a clip and putting it in the fridge until your next 1g batch?

That's what I've done. Actually I just fold it thin and over 3-5 times and pop in on a shelf I have in the freezer for brewing stuff. I didn't worry about the time frame, but I happened to use it up in three 5 gallon batches over the course of a month. I did make a starter every time. Fermentation was great!

Throw it in some water and drink it before bed...its really good for you. I usually do double batch brews so I have very little left...its one of the reasons I went to double batches, only adds a few hours

Back