Yeast Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilhavenBrew

Reaction score
We all know yeast strain matters on flavor profiles. Here is the best chart I have seen in helping me choose a yeast strain. Too bad they don’t have one for other yeast strains. The difference between WLP001 and the Trappist WLP500 yeast strain are many.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf

Diacetyl - Described as butterscotch sometimes. Decreased in higher temp fermentation's because of the yeast ability to absorb the Diacetyl. Time will decrease the flavor or remove it from being detected.

Any more notes on this flavor? Is it caused from stress in yeast? Or comfort? What style of beer should have some of this flavor? Discussion more than welcome.

Fruity or tart or sometimes spicy or earthy. Specifically known to increase with higher temperatures.

One question I see a lot is whether these esters are released by the yeast after the fermentation is complete. So if you have the temp rise to 76 degrees F and fermentation is already finished, the esters remain stable or the same.

Any more notes or corrections on this flavor? What style of beers do you love to have esters in? I know summer is about here so we will be brewing more esters in our beers. Hefe and Abby?

Band aids and antiseptics taste. Sounds awful, but really a scotch ale I had was pretty good and I would say it had some of the phenols. I imagine bad contamination would cause something like this or bleach left over from your cleaning. However, it seems like some yeasts will put this out even in a clean fermentation?

I am a newbie and doing research. So please comment and help us out on these flavors. Somehow, I think I am missing this flavor profile?

Forgive my post if I am way off. I would like some experience brewers to help on these. I am not very experienced with all this yet.

Low Temp stress and Autolysis from sitting on the yeast for 2 months. But this flavor can also fade away by giving it time in the bottle. Maybe a couple of months. Unless you have contamination which will give the rotten egg smell.

I cannot imagine why you would want this flavor in your beer? Anyone have comments or know of a good beer with this profile added to it?

This is the good stuff that should come with correct fermentation. I imagine it comes with all fermentation, but the flavor comes out more with a clean fermentation.

Harsh flavor. Hot solvent type flavor. Can be from a high temp fermentation. However, I think using table sugar or lots of corn sugar may contribute to such a flavor. I am not a fan of this flavor, but I see recipes with corn sugar in them all the time. I don’t like headaches either. I heard the Fusel Alcohol will dissipate over time if you bulk age in the 2ndary. But does it also go away if you age in the bottle?

Any other information on this product?

I know there are tons of flavors, but what doe we really detect coming from the yeast. Did we cover all of them with the 6. Diacetyl, Esters, Phenols, Sulfur and Fusel and Ethel?

If we cannot detect the flavor, why worry about it.

Fusel alcohol is made really during the first few days of fermentation. High initial temps and under pitching can cause them but those are only a few sources. Sugar source makes no difference.

Chlorophenols give the bandaid taste and they are usually from chlorine in your water supply. Filter water or use bottled water.

Band aids and antiseptics taste. Sounds awful, but really a scotch ale I had was pretty good and I would say it had some of the phenols. I imagine bad contamination would cause something like this or bleach left over from your cleaning. However, it seems like some yeasts will put this out even in a clean fermentation?

I am a newbie and doing research. So please comment and help us out on these flavors. Somehow, I think I am missing this flavor profile?

Forgive my post if I am way off. I would like some experience brewers to help on these. I am not very experienced with all this yet.

Like pennisim mentioned, that description usually applies to chlorophenols, but there are some good phenols as well. The biggest one I can think of off hand is the clove flavor made by hefe yeast. Unlike the banana ester, the clove flavor is from a phenol. I'm sure there are more that are desired in some beers.

Back