yeast/fermation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
i was brewing a light lager. i used a muntons ale yeast. first day airlock was going crazy. next day slowed done a ton. checked temp. The temp was done to 65. I m thinking about adding a 34/70 yeast to ferm at a lower temp. checked it today temp is arond 58. what should i do????

leave it, don't do anything. maybe wrap a blanket or sleeping bag around it, but otherwise let it sit

in 2 weeks start checking gravity

65 to 58 is a significant drop in one day. Could have slowed the yeast down. Don't always assume that airlock activity is a sign of fermentation. But that swing in temperature could have made the yeast turn a little sluggish. Muntons ale yeast is good between 57-70 degrees but that doesn't mean it'll act the same across that temperature range. If you are planning on doing this at lagering temps than I would have suggested a lager strain. The ale strain will stop working and fall out of suspension at those temps. If you want to keep with the ale strain then I suggest slowly bringing the temperature back up to 65 and try to maintain it as best you can.

question: is that the ambient air temp? or temp of the fermenting beer?

if it's the air, the beer will be a little warmer & should be in the zone for that yeast. then just keep it insulated

i'd still say you're ok.

pitched my belgian blonde (wlp400) last saturday, fermometer mid/high 60s until friday, then put it down in the basement, where it's now at 55°

not gonna worry about it for another 2 weeks

I would warm it up to the low to mid 60's. I don't know at what temperature the yeast will go dormant but 55 degrees is quite cold.

Temperature also will have an effect on the flavor. Low will create certain flavors and high will create different flavors. Too far out of the yeasts range might create undesirable flavors.

Back