Yeast culturing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
I am getting in to yeast culturing. Wanted to know if anyone else does this and if so we should all start a yeast swap here on the website.

I am trying to start a yeast bank of own. School is getting in the way of brewing lately (yeah I know my priorities are WAY off). All I have is a hefe yeast thus far. I'd like to get a small clean room or enclosure going so I can A) hopefully be really successful and save myself money and B) look cool in my own mind because I love extravagant equipment.

Yeast swapping would be cool if it didn't cost practically as much to ship (in a reasonable time) as it cost for a new vial. But, anyone in Atlanta want to trade?

Plus, how can I trust all jerks not to send some buggy yeast?:cross:

Beerrific said:
Yeast swapping would be cool if it didn't cost practically as much to ship (in a reasonable time) as it cost for a new vial. But, anyone in Atlanta want to trade?

Plus, how can I trust all jerks not to send some buggy yeast?:cross:

LOL! You are so right on both points. I have a good selection of slants, but to share them would be uneconomical because the only safe way to ship is in a thermos. So, unless it is a yeast that is no longer available and that you just want to prevent loosing from your bank, it's not worth it. Also, a great many people are using dry yeast nowdays, since they no longer seem to come pre-contaminated.

I don't trust a yeast that is aquired from another brewer as-is. i take it though a streaked incubation on ager and move healthy colonies to slants.

Cheers..:)

yeah you all are probably right as far as the shipping goes. Had another question for you all. Has anyone used the product Alginate (brand of agar) for your culturing. It is usually used for dental moldings but my dad is a taxidermist and has a huge jug of it that i can use for free C.O.D. ( collect off of dad)

I like the idea of shipping yeast, surely we can figure out a way to do it economically w/o involving dry ice or next day air. I'll tinker with it some and see what happens.

Beerrific said:
Anyone in Atlanta want to trade?

I'm game, but all I have to offer is some 1056 cultured off a recent batch. There's a thread here with pics and details. Please feel free to offer your comments on my process. FWIW, I'm located South in Fayetteville and travel to Duluth once a week.

pldoolittle said:
I'm game, but all I have to offer is some 1056 cultured off a recent batch. There's a thread here with pics and details. Please feel free to offer your comments on my process. FWIW, I'm located South in Fayetteville and travel to Duluth once a week.

Only thing I have worth trading is WLP001. :D

Latest posts

Back