Yeast Cultivating - Am I gullible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, acknowledging that breweries may pasteurize their beer, and then add another "generic" strain for bottle conditioning, if a beer says it's "unfiltered", can I assume I'm cultivating the strain used for primary fermentation? It seems that if I'm to take them at their word (hence, "am I gullible"), that this should be the primary strain. I suppose they didn't say "unpasteurized", though. Anyone have any data, or even opinions?

I'm asking because I cultured some of Harpoon's Raspberry UFO, and wanted to know what I was getting. Stuff tastes like raspberry Kool-Aid. I'm told Purple Haze is better, but this was my first raspberry hefe. My German FIL was willing to drink it, but may have just been being polite.

Just remember that just because it is unfiltered, that doesn't mean un-fined. A lot of companies will not filter a beer because they think it takes away from it, but they still fine the beer to get rid of unwanted haze, be it protein or otherwise. This process takes out all the yeast if done correctly, so to bottle condition they will either krausen the beer or re-pitch a different yeast. Either way, there is no harm in trying. Make a starter and then make a 1 gallon batch of wort and test it out. S.

I harvested from a bottle of Bridgeport IPA and had a good starter going with decanting and repitching... then contacted the brewery and the assistant brewer told me that they condition their beer with a lager strain instead of the ale strain used for fermentation. As I am not making a lager (or steam beer) the yeast was wasted effort - but a good opportunity to give it a shot.

I attempted to do this with a couple Belgian ales I picked up at my local liquor store. One was a Rochefort 8, the other was a Westmalle Dubbel Belgian Ale. The Rochefort 8 did nothing. Where the Westmalle Dubbel went very well. I took it small, and slow, and doubled the wort infusions, up to a gallon jar. I ended up with a very nice amount of yeast slurry. I have a Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewing, right now, and I am planning on using this yeast as my second infusion, to help finish off the fermentation.

So, just be aware that you might not get anything from certain beers, but I feel it's worth a try.

Latest posts

Back