Yeast cultivated from bottles... Which ones and HOWTO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Reading some random recipes here, I ran into this (from Ohiobrewtus?):

"yeast cultivated and stepped multiple times from Hoegaarden bottles"

Does that technique only apply to Wits and Hefes, i.e. beers with some significant yeast remaining in the bottle -with another twist; isn't commercial bottle conditiong using additional ingredients?

What yeast have you cultivated form bottles?

Wits and Hefes normally almost are almost always unfiltered, so they're excellent candidates for yeast harvesting.

I left a bit of beer in each bottle as I finished it (for the sake of doing it right I had to kill the 6'er all in the same evening :rockin:), then swirled/shook the bottles around to break up the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. That was a number of months ago and I can't recall the exact amounts of water and DME that I used when I did it.

From there it all went into a very small starter wort that I stepped up with more wort about every 3 days until it looked like my other startes do after 3 days when made with yeast from White Labs.

Does rogue leave yeast even in their 12 ouncers? I recently got their sharktooth (eh) and seahorse pale ale (better) but forgot to save the last bits for culturing. sad day.

ddroukas said:
Does rogue leave yeast even in their 12 ouncers? I recently got their sharktooth (eh) and seahorse pale ale (better) but forgot to save the last bits for culturing. sad day.

I usually culture from about 3 bottles, but yes, there's somethin in there.

I guess I can't say "usually". I've only done it once, and now I have some in glycerol at -80˚C, on plates, and in my fridge ready to pitch. Booya.

I have cultured yeast from Bell's bottles twice now. I started with the yeast from three bottles in 1/8 cup DME / 3/4 cup water and stepped up from there doubling every two days. No problems so far.

Back