Yeast clumped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imonix

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm looking for a link on any problems encountered when adding yeast.

It's our first brew today using a kit. I got the temperature right and sprinkled on the yeast, stirred it, only to find it went clumpy.

I did exactly what it said in the instructions.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Just whoa back, you pitched billions of cells ! They are your army, they will have a meeting and break out, and do the business. Providing you did the dance and prayed as you pitched.

And the chant of thanks following a brew. Don't worry, I usually don't even stir at all.

Jupapabear

Hi All, I'm looking for a link on any problems encountered when adding yeast.

It's our first brew today using a kit. I got the temperature right and sprinkled on the yeast, stirred it, only to find it went clumpy.

I did exactly what it said in the instructions.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Hang tight it's likely OK. How soon did it get clumpy? Some yeasts do get "clumpy". It's probably doing exactly what it ought to do.
What kind of yeast and what style beer?
I know where your coming from, when it's your first beer the fermentation looks weird and appears to have something wrong with it. I thought so too on my first one.

Hang tight it's likely OK. How soon did it get clumpy? Some yeasts do get "clumpy". It's probably doing exactly what it ought to do.
What kind of yeast and what style beer?
I know where your coming from, when it's your first beer the fermentation looks weird and appears to have something wrong with it. I thought so too on my first one.

Thanks all; its a Heart of England, 2 Rabbits Golden Hoppy Ale.

No name for the yeast on the packet.

Re-assuring to hear the replies, so thanks again

You should be hydrating dry yeast before pitching. I sprinkle it into the water over about ten seconds while wisking. I don't like the clumps because I worry some of the cells aren't getting hydrated inside the clump. Probably just craziness on my part.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Back