yeast cakes/starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkapottomous

Reaction score
so I bottled my old american ale last week, and for the sake of having a less yeasty taste, I used the filter on my siphon, and didn't use a tiny bit of my beer from the primary for bottling.

how do you guys save the yeast for future brews? can I just put it in a tupperware container and freeze/refridgerate it?

put the yeast in a sealed, cleaned, and sanitized container. DONT freeze it. its a living organism you wouldn't put your dog in the freezer why would you put your yeast in there. put it in the refrigerator.

well I knew that the colder temperatures made the yeast go dormant. i didn't know if they would survive being frozen or if I should just refrigerate them.

I'd actually do a bit of reading on 'Yeast Washing', both here and other places. I always thought you could just harvest some yeast from the trub and store it, but that doesn't exactly seem to be the case if you want to keep some viable, healthy yeast for a while. I've also heard that they can't be stored in the fridge as long as the yeast you'd buy from your LHBS. That's just my take though, it seems like a lot of time and effort, almost too much for me to do for only using that strain maybe once more that year.

Edit: Yes, keep it in the fridge. Though I HAVE heard of yeast being frozen (read down a bit, it must be done properly).

Back