Yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I brewed an English bitter and left the yeast cake in my fermenter. I kegged it last Thursday. The yeast smells fruity. It was a dry English ale yeast. I feel it is ok to put a stout on it, but wanted to be sure since I have taken a 2 year break from brewing. Thanks for any help.

Hoosierbrewer

I brewed an English bitter and left the yeast cake in my fermenter. I kegged it last Thursday. The yeast smells fruity. It was a dry English ale yeast. I feel it is ok to put a stout on it, but wanted to be sure since I have taken a 2 year break from brewing. Thanks for any help.

Hoosierbrewer

Yes, but you probably don't want the whole cake. Just pour it into a sanitized pyrex measuring container, and use an appropriate amount into your new batch.

Mrmalty.com has a yeast pitching calculator for slurry that would help with the correct amount. A whole cake is extreme overpitching.

Thanks. I was going to split it with a mild brown. I figure I can get enough sugar and color from a 3rd batch sparge for a mild. I will perform a second mash on 6 lbs of grain

I just noticed it was you Yooper. You were helpful before also. I took a break and thought I was done brewing. I decided one more shot and I am at it again. In fact I will be teaching some friends to transition to all grain next month.

Back