Yeast cake smells like vomit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingofsweden

Reaction score
I just bottled my 5 gallons of irish red ale and thought to save the yeast. I boiled and cooled water and slushed it around with the cake and its giving off this nasty smell. should i toss instead of extracting?

i meant separating it from the trub. i poured the top layer into mason jars and that doesnt smell bad but the remaining rest of the bucket still reeks.

I don't know what you mean by "extracting", but I wouldn't use yeast that smelled like vomit.

Just about everyone of my yeast cakes has a vomity smell to them and there has been no issues with any of my beers. Every pack/vial of liquid yeast I've used smelled like vomit to me; I think it is just the natural smell of the yeast, and so don't see any reason not to use it.

Edit: Should emphasize that the smell nor taste gets transferred to the beer.

I bottled an ESB last night. I don't harvest yeast so I dumped the trub into the toilet in my basement half bathroom.

The combined visual and aromatic effect triggered my nostalgia for those long gone university days when I spent an inordinate amount of time praying to the porcelain god.

I've never had a yeast cake that smelled bad, except once. It had a definite "fecal" smell to it after storing it in the fridge a bit too long.

A yeast cake should definitely smell yeasty- but I would not use yeast that had a vomit-like smell to it. That's a definite bad sign!

It's normal. I make a point not to bottle beer while hungover because the smell when cleaning the buckets makes me throw up in my mouth.

Vomit?!?!?!

My yeast cakes always smell ....well...yeasty. I've never interpreted that to smell like puke. I agree with yooper, you probably don't want to brew with that.

I Hope your beer doesn't smell like vomit!!!:cross:

I've never had a yeast cake that smelled bad, except once. It had a definite "fecal" smell to it after storing it in the fridge a bit too long.

A yeast cake should definitely smell yeasty- but I would not use yeast that had a vomit-like smell to it. That's a definite bad sign!

I'm thinking this might just be a matter of perception; unless every vial/packet of yeast I've gotten was bad from Northern Brewer, Midwest brewin, and both LHBS I visit. Again every last one had a vomity smell at least to me with Edinburgh yeast being the worst. Not a single brewing yeast I've used had the same yesty smell of the bakers yeast I'm used to.

Again all my beers turned out great though.

Just about everyone of my yeast cakes has a vomity smell to them and there has been no issues with any of my beers. Every pack/vial of liquid yeast I've used smelled like vomit to me; I think it is just the natural smell of the yeast, and so don't see any reason not to use it.

Edit: Should emphasize that the smell nor taste gets transferred to the beer.
I guess smell is subjective too. I've never smelled a yeast that smelled like vomit. At least I'm in good company! Thanks Yoop!

My beer tastes and smells fine. I may use 1 jar of the collected yeast and make beer bread as a test to see if it's still good. Worst case scenario I wasted a little flour instead of wort

I find that vodka smells like vomit... not because it does but because I had a little too much a few months ago (if you know what I mean).

Have you had to much beer at any recent point in time? ;P

Dawnstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
It came with my northern brewer irish red ale kit

Btw it made the best bread ever.

Did you let your airlock/blowoff tube dry out?

I had that happen once to a yeast cake I was saving. Flies laid eggs and I had maggots and pupae in there and the yeast cake smelled like vomit. Only time I felt like hurling when rinsing out a used fermenter.

If the yeast cake smells that bad, I would imagine the beer will too?

But perhaps you exaggerate the smell a bit.

Good luck,

Back