yeast cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
i racked to my secondary the other day and saved my yeast cake . put it into sanatized 1/2 pint jars and put them in the fridg.

my question is different beers call for different strains of yeast. what if the yeast cake i saved isn't the same as the strain that the beer calls for.how or will that effect my beer.

You'll get different flavors, different aromas...It depends on the style of beer you're trying to brew - a lot of recipes can get away with a neutral, well-attenuating yeast. Ultimately though, if a recipe for beer A calls for yeast A, and you use yeast B, you won't get beer A even if all of your other ingredients are identical.

i don't think its a huge deal. i have wlp001 which is a very very versitile yeast for ALEs so i use it for all my ales from pale to porter. I also have an american hefe strain i use for my wheats. eventually i'll prolly get a strain for belgians too. so basically i will use different yeasts for different styles but not a different strain for every beer.

Back