yeast cake on top and bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Halter

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this B4? When i racked to the secondary, there was a sturdy yeast cake on the top. It was greyish brown, had the texture of a foamy sponge and was somewhat hard to slice to get a tube down past for racking. I'm brewing a stout to go onto that cake rightnow. There was a cake on the bottom too, but that one was somewhat loose and whitish, maybe like yogurt. I sure hope that it is safe to use as a cake for my stout. Everything smells real good. When you walk downstairs you can really smell that pleasant yeasty smell.

I have read about that in a commercial brewing text. There they say that at the end of fermentation a 1-2 in blanket will form which should not fall though the beer during racking.

But I never saw this in home brewing though. I guess that our batch sizes are not large enough to form a stabil enough blanked of dried Kraeusen.

Kai

I forgot to say what type it was. White labs East Coast Ale 008. Used a starter. Starter was Laaglander Dme. But that starter sat in the fridge, Like a refridgerated starter on ice. The fermentation was at least 2 1/2 weeks long. Kind of strange, I guess. But it is winter and not exactly warm in the basement...

Back