yeast cake is kinda old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
I kegged a batch about 10 days ago. The yeast cake has been in the primary fermenter since then, still under airlock, with a good 2 inches of wort on it, in about a 60 degree room.

Think it is still viable to reuse? No strange growth in the fermenter or anything... I planned on reusing it sooner, but I had so many things going on it got pushed to the backburner.

cheers
bryan

just syphon that wort off as much as you can. Then put in some pre boiled watert(pre-chilled) and give everything a swirl to rouse the yeast. then just pitch right on top off all that. Have a blowoff tube ready...it will go crazy fast

You'll probably be ok, but the advice I received at my LHBS was to get that new batch onto the cake the same day that the original beer was racked to secondary or bottled. As you are siphoning out the beer, you are drawing air in which may or may not contain nasties. With all that being said, you're probably ok to go. If it was from a dry yeast I wouldn't bother with reusing it at this point.

Back