Yeast blend by mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortIfied

Reaction score
My brew buddy brewed a batch of imperial ipa at the same time I brewed my black rye IIPA. We did this to compare the differences. Used the same amount of lme and specialty grains, obviously different combinations though. Using the same hops and hop schedule, and same yeast strain and pitch rate. 2 packs rehydrated US-05. Our original gravitates were just about the same, mine being 1.098 his being 1.102 Come to find out, he pitched an extra dry packet of S-04 about 4 hours after pitching the US-05. claimed he was worried he wouldn't have enough starting yeast. After bashing on him he paniced and realized he mixed strains, maybe too much homebrew to realize one packet is red and the other blue. Hah.

This is the first I've heard of mixing those two strains, what should we come to expect from a stunt like this?

How informative lol. I get it though! Yes beer, but isn't there difference in taste, attenuation etc? I have not used s04 but from I heard it is a bit different, obviously one is an American ale yeast and one is an English ale strain.

Will this affect the taste much?

The 04 will leave some Esters but probably won't affect the beer too much. If anything, pitching that second packet is probably a good thing with that high OG. One packet is probably under pitching.

Not much difference, could be some slight noticability of the 04 but otherwise pretty clean.Depends on temps too. Nothing id fret about they are almost,in my opinion the same.You can sometimes get some english notes from 04,but its so very mild and usually not very noticable depending on the recipe also i guess.

lol.. I think that you will not notice much difference than just pitching the s-05. I think the higher attenuation of the s-05 will take over and any residual sweetness that the s-04 would have left will be eaten up by the s-05...BUT...then again I don't know didley squat about yeast.

Back