Yeast banking question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
I've just accumulated just about everything I need to start my own yeast bank: stir plate, 15ml plastic tubes, sterile water, and glycerol. I even managed to find a cheap centrifuge.

However, when I received the bottle of glycerol off ebay, it had already been opened, and about half of it was gone. My question is this: Should I be worried about it being non-sterile and ruining stored strains? I know if I had a pressure cooker I could sterile it along with the vials, but I don't, and the vials I'm using are plastic, not glass.

I was thinking of adding some to a small sterile starter (yeast free) to see if any bacteria would grow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would never used any open chemical container. Most likely everythings fine, but you have no way of telling if anythings been tampered with. I'd buy another bottle, I bought mine from McMaster-Carr if you can't find it locally.

I got my glycerin at Wal Mart. If you plan on a serious bank you really need to sterilize both vials and glycerin. If the vials wont handle the heat you might be able to use an U.V. oven. I have seen them on ebay. Cosmetologists use them to sterilize fingernail tools I think.

I`m a grad student in a yeast lab and we always filter sterilize our glycerol solutions--you can get filters that screw onto the ends of syringes and then you just run the solution through the filter.

I definitely wouldn`t use an open container without some kind of sterilization--plus, you don`t know if they`ve been using nasty chemicals with the glycerol--don`t poison yourself with ebay stuff!!

I got my glycerin at Wal Mart. If you plan on a serious bank you really need to sterilize both vials and glycerin. If the vials wont handle the heat you might be able to use an U.V. oven. I have seen them on ebay. Cosmetologists use them to sterilize fingernail tools I think.

U.V. ovens are tough to find used, but when you can you can get a good deal.

I wouldn't trust ANYTHING that's been opened to be sterile, especially not something I bought secondhand.

Test it before you use it IMO.

I have one of these:
Germ Eliminator portable germicidal lamp @ Williams Brewing

It has instructions and test data for surface sterilizing. Not sure what kind of exposure times would be needed to sanitize/sterilize fluids.

R34.jpg

It has instructions and test data for surface sterilizing. Not sure what kind of exposure times would be needed to sanitize/sterilize fluids.

Can you give us examples of exposure times for this device? Is it minutes or hours?

I have just installed big 30W UV ceiling lamp in my brewhouse, for air sanitation, I wonder in I could use it for equipement sanitation as well...

From William's website:

"Just place the Germ Eliminator within a half inch of the item to be sanitized, turn it on, and wait ten seconds to kill 99% or more of surface bacteria and wild yeast."

I'd be careful about eye protection if you have that UV ceiling lamp on all of the time. I use some total UV blockage glasses when using the small lamp.

Back