Yeast Bank

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Zulufalcon

Reaction score
I'm starting to cultivate yeast. What are some the more versatile yeast strains that everyone needs to have on hand?

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
I try to keep a few of my favorite ones on hand: Dennys Favorite 50, 3068, Four Peaks house strain, WLP007, 2206, and 3711.

These along with a stash of S-05 and Notty cover most of my favorite beers.

HHP

Reaction score
It depends on what you like to brew, but 1056/001 is the standard clean strain that is extremely versatile...

Wig

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If I brew it, I keep samples.

This thread has me thinking though, I need to make some changes. I am using mason jars, but I am quickly running out of room. Think I'll downsize to test tubes.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
I like to at least have WLP001 and a Belgian strain like WLP500 or 550 and, if you do British style beers, your favorite British strain.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
Wig said:
If I brew it, I keep samples.

This thread has me thinking though, I need to make some changes. I am using mason jars, but I am quickly running out of room. Think I'll downsize to test tubes.
What would you recommend for sealable test tubes? I don't have any wyeast vials andneed to store some.

Wig

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What would you recommend for sealable test tubes? I don't have any wyeast vials andneed to store some.
Depends on what you are doing for a yeast bank. Washing? Than the white labs vials would suffice. If you are going to slant, then you need somethign autoclavable and can withstand high temps.

I got these.

melchermatt

Reaction score
I try to keep things that I can't buy. My favorite is Pacman and it can be difficult to get at times. I have also harvested the strain used in SN Kellerweiss and a belgian strain used by a local brewery. I have also started taking a few samples from the commercial strains as I use them. See the sticky thread 'Yeast Slanting' for instructions. I slant and plate on agar.