Yeast and your septic tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndlyon

Reaction score
We just moved to a new house and are on a septic system instead of city water. Has anyone had any issues with their septic as a result of dumping those lovely yeast cakes down the drain?

I'm also interested in hearing on this.

I moved in to our new house (w/septic and drainage field) in October and have brewed about 10 times, dumping yeast down the drain. No problems yet, but I'm curious.

I'm currently fermenting 1500 gallons of an IPA in my septic...dry hopping in 2 weeks. Seems ok.

Too funny.

Requesting your "Best Septic Tank Brew Names"...Go...

Poop Brown Ale
IPeeA
Schizer Hefeweizen
Man Spiced Beer

I have a septic tank and asked the people who built it, and they suggested if I don't dump it down there, add a few tbsp of regular bread yeast to eat all the "stuff"

"I'm currently fermenting 1500 gallons of an IPA in my septic...dry hopping in 2 weeks. Seems ok."

I just had my septic tank pumped out a few weeks back. Now ready to start anew and make some "Bowelywine" or perhaps an IPEEA...

Perhaps I am too much of a microbiologist! I was concerned that the yeast would out-compete the bacteria...and now this has turned into "bathroom talk"!

Please keep your eyes on the shelves for the newest from Angry Wiener Brewing Company - Sh*t Tank Steam Beer - Highly fermented in a cold dark place...refreshing!

(Is it wrong that I am going to probably giggle about this like a school girl all day?)

Latest posts

Back