Yeast and the aged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK-6393

Reaction score
Newbie question. As a wine/ mead maker, you want all the yeast to settle out of the wine so you get crystal clear wine. No need for the yeast to make it to a bottle since there is no need for carbonation. Now, with beer you want some yeast to make it to the bottle to feed on the priming sugar and carbonate the bottles. Will allowing the beer to sit for 2-4 weeks on fruit/ spices give too much time for yeast to settle out thereby making the chances of bottle carbonation unlikely?? Do I need to repitch at bottling time or is there something I am missing? Thanks.

I had a lager ferment for three weeks at 52f then lager at 34f for three months and it still carbed fine.

I was just going to take a stout, separate it into 3 gallons and two one gallon batches, and add extra stuff to the two gallons. One would be peanut butter flavoring and cocoa powder and then vanilla beans and cherries to the other. Just didn't want to go to all that trouble to end up with 2 gallons of flat beer. Thanks!

Back