Yeast and Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AABassMaster

Reaction score
I'm starting my 2nd beer this weekend. It is an IPA. I am going to use the yeast that comes with the kit this time (it is due to arrive tomorrow), but I am wondering if in the future if there is a certain kind of yeast that brings out the hops more in an IPA?

Is there a certain yeast that helps bring out more taste in a stout or Lager?

What about if I added fruit? Is there a yeast that will bring out the flavor of a fruit like blueberries more?

Yes, yes, no.

American Ale yeasts are known for bringing out a better hop flavor. Some that I know of off the top of my head are US-05 and WL California Ale.

As far as stouts, it all depends on what style stout you're doing. WL and Wyeast make yeasts for pretty much every style you can come up with. Stick with their recommendations until you find something you really like.

The addition of lactose to your beer can help to sweeten up fruit flavors. There's a few other things you can use, but I think lactose is most common.

Back