Yeast Allergy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prenger745

Reaction score
Hello again!

I just recently started homebrewing again after about a 10 year hiatus. Back then the Internet didn't have nearly as much information but I have always wanted to ask...can a person have a yeast allergy?

Here is what happened. I made two 5 gallon batches of beer (10 years ago). One was a dark stout and the other just a basic pale ale I believe. For the stout, I used the liquid yeast for the pale ale, a dry yeast.

Both beers turned out pretty well for a first time brew. The stout was very tasty. The problem with the stout was that after drinking a few, I would spend the rest of the day ummm in the bathroom, sitting (if you know what I mean).

The other batch of beer (made with the dry yeast) did not have this effect on me and neither beer had that effect on anyone else that drank it (wife included).

So can a person be allergic to yeast? If so, can if be as specific as yeast strains/types?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

I'm no expert but I have heard of people on the forum who get gassy. Tipically it's something u get used to. If u get pains or something it could be due to the sugars. Maybe someone else could chime in

+2 on that! I believe that it's just your GI tract getting used to the "bugs." Does it happen with commercial brews? Does it happen to anyone else that drinks your brew? My brother-in-law is allergic to beer, poor guy.

Everyone gets AIDS once in awhile. You know, Alcohol Induced Drizzle S**ts.

In all honesty, though..I don't think that's an allergic reaction. Maybe it's because you're drinking 10 year old beer?

Just to clarify.

This does not happen with commercial brews (unless you count the day after). With my stout, it would happen an hour or so after drinking it and even in such small amounts as one or 2 bottles. It did not happen to anyone else that drank it.

Lastly, I am NOT drinking 10 year old beer (I mean if it was all that was left in the world..maybe) this happened 10 years ago and am just trying to see if anyone had similar experiences. For now, I will stick with dry yeast since that seems to not have the same effect as the liquid. Probably no correlation, but it won't hurt.

Latest posts

Back