Yeast advice for American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Valvefan

Reaction score
Hi all

Im going o rebrew an American Pale Ale (Jamil Zainasheff's recipe). I have brewed it twice using Safale S-05 and liked the results. What would be different with WLP 001 or Wyeast 1056? What about Pacman yeast?

Thanks

dcp27

Reaction score
I generally get a lil more attenuation with S05, but S05/001/1056 are all chico so don't expect too much difference. pacman would be good, as would dennys fave, Cal Ale V (051), among others

RonPopeil

Reaction score
those are all variants. basically the same strain with mild differences in performance. personally, US-05 finishes high. with wlp001 or 1056 you'll get proper attenuation. plus you can do starters and bank some yeast.

Reaction score
I vote 001 as well. I do Jamil's recipe with some slight modifications, definitely a favorite of mine.

OP
V

Valvefan

Reaction score
OK
WLP 001 it is!

Any advice on how to open the vial without spraying the contents on the ceiling? I have only tried to use White Labs yeast once and the whole vial sprayed out on the counter top. I thought that I had opened it slowly.

Reaction score
Yeah open it just enough to let some of the hiss out and let it sit for a minute before you commit to opening it all the way. Tighten the cap again, give it a little shake to get all of the clumps unstuck from the sides and proceed to pitch.

Remember to sanitize the outside of the vial. I just soak mine in a pint glass full of star san

jonmohno

Banned
Reaction score
05,01,and 56 are suppose to be the same. I would go with 04 dry, or caliV,or pacman or even an english strain for something a little different then the Chico strain. I like dry windsor, myself also and caliV alot. Although it would be interesting to see if you see a difference in the liquid vs dry- I have not used the liquid 01 or 1056 though, I have seen an improvement when switching to liquid yeast and even more so when making starters.

I got an infected batch because my first vial sprayed all over my hand into the fermenter,open very slowly. Use sanitized gloves and sanitized vial.