Yeast activated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Just received my order from northern brewer. The yest packet was activated. The package is not fully inflated but bag is inflated. Is it still good? Can I use it. An if so will it effect my batch

I had that with 2 Wyeasts in my last order. I put both in the fridge as soon as I got them. I waited a couple of days and made a starter on the first which was the more swollen of the 2. 1056 American Ale - no problems at all. The second was swelled a little less and made a starter about a week later - about a week and a half in the fridge. The activity on my stir plate had stopped by the next morning but I had some yeast cake in the flask. Just to be sure I made some more wort, poured off some of the old and continued, within 2 hours I had signs of activity. I then did my Nut Brown Ale and it was active by morning. If you make a starter you will be able to determine if the yeast is still alive and will create a more viable batch.

Back