Years of vaseline, how to clean my QDs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so aparently i've been lubing my posts wrong for years.

i've been using vaseline...and now know that not good for the o-rings...how would i clean the residue out of my QDs? would an hour soak in PBW or something do the trick? soapy water and a rag?

i plan to replace all my gas o-rings, but don't want any residue left in the QD to defeat the purpose....

Petroeum jelly will break down EPDM, butyl or nitrile o-rings. Also sunlight can cause UV degradation to poppet O-rings if left outside for storage. Only silicone keg lube should be used on posts.

sorry forgot to insert it in OP....don't know hoow to edit a quote in....

Take apart completely and keep each QD separate in a cup or bowl, being careful with the inside o-ring. These are sometimes clear or sometimes match the color of the QD. Then I would suggest some hot water, Dawn and a toothbrush maybe a second soak with PBW.

most of my gas QDs are barbs. so i'd have a hard time disconnecting them.

so you're recommended a toothe brush and soapy water? i'll give it a shot, thanks for the reply, didn't even notice till today! sorry

I degrease with VM&P Naptha. Home Depot.

But for a small job, if you don't have that, just use any solvent in your garage.

lol, i don't know why i can't tell if you're serious. i got some 60% ethanol? i'd have to experiment, stick a blob of vas in it see if it dissolves.

edit: well i can say vas doesn't dissolve in 60% ethanol, just tried.

Last edited:
Alcohol wont work. Use the naptha, mineral spirtits, white gas, acetone etc.

I like the Haynes CIP Film. It melts in hot water so it is really easy to clean off.

Back