Year Old LME - Toss it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uber_franz

Reaction score
I bought an extract kit late last spring and got caught up in summer activities and never got a chance to brew it. It came with 6lb of gold LME and I'm wondering what I should do with it... Is it worth brewing with it at all? I'm in the process of trying to eliminate the extract 'twang' off flavor that shows up in all my beers lately. Any ideas? Compost bin?

Cheers!

Was it sealed in a can? What is the expire date? I would bet it is just fine if it has been kept out of contact with air and stored at reasonable temps.

Was it sealed in a can? What is the expire date? I would bet it is just fine if it has been kept out of contact with air and stored at reasonable temps.

From Northern Brewer - still sealed in a plastic half gallon size milk type jug. No expiration date printed that I can find. I like cgongdoli's suggesstion to freeze and use for yeast starters...

Got some 1/2 cup malt-sickles in the freezer now.

Malted Milk anybody? Malted Latte? Yum!

I have this same issue, but my LME is probably 10-20 years old in a can. I am going to make a mystery beer, with all the schwag leftovers kicking around. If I taste the LME prior to use and it is wierd, to the trash it goes. Other than that, mystery beer me!!

I had a thread a while ago asking about using a kit that was about a year or two old. Someone with much more experience than me posted a reply in which they talked about using a many year old liquid malt extract after scraping mold off the top, and claimed it turned out fine.

If you're boiling it, I really wouldn't worry too much, but other people might have different opinions.

:tank:

I don't think it is a contamination issue. It is staleness. LME turns darker with age and there is some sort of chemical reaction going on with the sugars that changes their characteristics. This is made worse in the presence of oxygen. That extract "twang" your hear about is probably related to this phenomenon.

I'm all over Craigslist in my area, and odd items have come into trade. Last year I added together 6 cans of an unknown age Mr. Beer extract (GASP!!!) and a piss-ton of hops.

Last week I received 9.9lbs of unmarked LME that is around 5 years old. I had nothing to lose and experimented with my first IIPA. I think it cost me $5 in hops and yeast. It is bubbling away in a carboy and smells great. Not many people can top $1 a gallon for an IIPA. As I see it, I just can't lose.

The yeast starter is a great idea. Have no fear brewing it, just don't have plans prior to enter it into the Great Homebrew Challenge. :fro:

Back