Year Old Kegs, any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I sure this has been covered but I was cleaning out my cellar and found three kegs that I completly forgot about. One is a BLue Moon Clone that I kegged on 3/21/10, one is a Light Ale that was also kegged on 3/21/10 and the other is a Blonde that I kegged on 1/22/10. All three still have CO2 presure on them.

Has anyone ever had any luck with keggs that old? They usually dont last that long at my house, I have no idea how I lost them. I guess they got pushed back and forgotten.

I guess I could throw one in the fridge and carb it up to see, any thoughts?

I was just worried about it being oxidized or something by now.

I also found 8 pints of Pumpkin beer I brewed last October (2009) and a six pack of sweet stout that I brewed in September (2009).

I need to clean the cellar more often!

Too bad you live so far away, I would come right over and help you get rid of those dangerous, infected kegs! I can only hope that someone near you will volunteer to help get rid of it.

(just kidding, I think they would be perfectly fine to drink, and probably pretty tasty too, although that blue moon might not be as good, because it's a wheat beer, and they say they are best consumed very young.)

They certainly won't harm you. They may not be great as those styles tend to better when consumed younger but as others have said chill away and give them a taste.

Back