Year-old Flaked Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FightingBob

Reaction score
About a year ago I ordered 4.5 lbs of flaked wheat from Austin Homebrew Supply for a witbier. I changed my mind and went to my LHBS to get white wheat malt.
I haven't used the flaked wheat yet, but I don't really want to waste it.

I know some responses will be "brew with it and find out," but is the flaked wheat like malted barley in that after the barley is milled it is best for about three months? Would the flaked wheat be better in the compost?

I brew my witbier often and I've nailed down my recipe. Any other brew ideas for the flaked wheat if it would be a good idea to brew with it?

if you've stored it properly (cool dry place) it should be good for up to a year; if you are going to just toss it at least make cream of wheat with it.

if you've stored it properly (cool dry place) it should be good for up to a year; if you are going to just toss it at least make cream of wheat with it.

It's actually been 14 months in various temps with an apartment move in there.

Hell, I'll brew with it and see how it goes. The worst that will happen will be that it will be better than my worst brew. That I know for sure.

Thanks

It's actually been 14 months in various temps with an apartment move in there.

Hell, I'll brew with it and see how it goes. The worst that will happen will be that it will be better than my worst brew. That I know for sure.

Thanks

The flavor it has now will affect your beer. Sniff test it dry first. If it smells fresh, go to the next step. If it already smells stale, so will the beer you make with it so throw it out.

If it passes the dry sniff test, make a bowl of porridge from it. If it smells like porridge, make beer with the rest of it but if the porridge smells bad, so will your beer.

Latest posts

Back