Year old all grain kit. Still ok to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razorguy

Reaction score
So I ordered an all grain kit (black IPA) about a year ago for my first all grain batch. I ended up putting it aside due to other brews I wanted to do with plans to brew it a month or two down the road. Well, now here I am and just came across a box with all my grain in it. I've read through posts of people brewing after a few months of ingredients sitting but didn't see much for longer periods like in my situation.

What are the odds all the ingredients are still ok to brew with? The yeast and hops went into my fridge when I got it and that's where they still are. I don't notice any bugs or anything in the grain. I'll also note it was precrushed. I just don't want to go through a brew day and end up with bad beer.

Thanks!

Eh, I've got a kit going on about 6 months old I plan on brewing soon. Only way to really find out is brew it, I don't really see why it wouldn't be any good.

Is the grain precrushed *and* mixed? Or are the specialty grains in separate baggies? (A black IPA probably has a lot of specialty grain) If you really don't trust it, get fresh cheap 2-row malt from the LHBS to replace the base malt? Then use the year old crystal and dark malts.

I'm brewing with the last of a 2 year old bag of malt and it's converting just fine, but it was stored as whole malt and not ground.

I'll find out soon enough. I have some old grain i discovered. Several years old...been hidden in the back of the frige...gonna use it and see what i end up with

i have just used up some 5 year old grain that was stored in a very nice air tight container and it kicked out a very nice brew. It wasn't crushed though.

Easy to tell. Use your nose. I'd guess the grain is fine. The hops are probably fine. The yeast will probably rouse fine but make a starter to make sure.

Back