Year in Review -What was your favorite Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
So here we are, December 31, and another year of brewing has come and gone.

Anyone care to share their favorite recipes brewed this year? Link 'em or post 'em. What made them stand out? Final product? Changes you made? Memorable experiences?

I had two batches that stood out as particularly excellent:

Gavin's Alt
Sr7v8H5.jpg

And a Bell's Best Brown Clone, but with my own changes (Cut the victory, and swapped special Roast for Fawcett's Brown Malt.) No longer a clone, but a fabulous beer.
5EuXzEt.png

Your turn!
Go!

Hanks Hefewezien extract from Midwest. Fast easy and very tasty and you can drink a few when it's hot outside

The three big ones for me were joining homebrewtalk, kegging and going all grain.I'm brewing more than I ever did before.

My two favorite recipes were a maibock I made (don't have the recipe in front of me). It was an extract I designed and it turned out great. I'll be converting that to all grain. The next one was NB's Tombstone Pale Ale (all grain). I just kicked that keg; very tasty brew.

My house pale ale. I call it "Once" (I've gotten into the habit of naming all my beers after Pearl Jam songs):

Vol - 5.5 gallons
60 min boil
Assumes 70% efficiency (I do BIAB exclusively and sometimes get a bit higher, but usually right around 70%)
Mash @ 150

OG - 1.055
FG - 1.011
Right around 6% ABV, depending on efficiency and attenuation
44 IBU

10 lbs Pale Ale Malt
1 lb Munich 10
0.5 lb Crystal 40
0.25 lb Flaked Wheat

0.3 oz Magnum @ 60
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 20
0.25 oz Citra @ 20
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 10
0.25 oz Citra @ 10
1 oz Amarillo @ Flameout
0.5 oz Citra @ Flameout

2 oz Amarillo dry hop
1 oz Citra dry hop

Omega Vermont DIPA yeast (aka Conan)

This recipe originally came about as a way to use some of the pound each of Citra and Amarillo I had on hand. For the first version, I used equal amounts of each hop and US-05 dry yeast. It was good, but the Citra tended to dominate. Second time around, I used the 2:1 ratio of Amarillo to Citra seen above and used some Conan yeast slurry I had saved from an IPA I brewed. If you're look for something very fruity and juicy (kind of like Fresh Squeezed IPA, although this obviously isn't a clone), give this a shot.:mug:

My favorite was the grain bill from the Sculpin clone here and a hop schedule that I found somewhere, or mixed up a few different hop schedules and it turned out amazing. All about Amarillo and Simcoe. I don't even know if I wrote it down :(

My Wee Heavy was a huge hit. Definitely my favorite recipe so far. This is a 4 gallon recipe, but it was also part of a partigyle brew day, making a small scottish 80/-. These #s are adjusted from the original recipe to isolate what I measured in the WH.

SG 1.100
FG 1.016
11% ABV
29 IBU

14.1 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lb chocolate malt
.5 lb C 120

1 oz. Nugget @ 60 minutes.

WY1728 Scottish ale yeast (2 smack packs used)

Mash 155 for 60 minutes
Boil 60 minutes

Pull 1 gallon of 1st running and boil down to 2 pints (syrup with large bubbles). Add to main boil.

Primary 1 month. Secondary 5 months. Keg to 12 psi. It's magic in your mouth. I wish I had more.

The 80/- was also good, but this was much more better!

My Wee Heavy was a huge hit.

The 80/- was also good, but this was much more better!

I'm brewing a 60 Shilling right now for a Robert Burns Day party. I would have done something bigger, but there'll be a lot of scotch flowing that night too!

The Hefeweizen recipe I got from more beer. The extract version got me three placings in competitions this year and it became my first all grain batch when I moved up. It was also simply delicious during the monster of a summer we had.

I made a Roggenweizen for the first time this year, and I have to say I'm very impressed/intrigued with the recipe. I'm looking forward to spring when I can make a few more batches and really dial things in.

My #1 favorite recipe this year was the American Lite kit from Adventures In Homebrewing. Very similar to your typical BMC variety of beer, but a lot more flavorful. Second on the list is the AIH Frozen Flames Steam Beer I currently have fermenting, because from start to finish, including clean up work, it was the fastest, most efficient brewing session I've ever done. I was definitely 'In the zone', the other night once I got going.

I made some really killer beer this year but one that stands out is a red rye hop bomb and a hoppy amber. I have a chocolate milk stout on tap now that's also very good.
In 2016 I'm going to only brew a few new recipes and try to nail down the ones i have that i like already. Some new brews will include a barley wine, ris, and maybe a lager.
Happy new year all!

My favourite would have to be my sweet stout I brewed. Couldn't even post a recipe because I messed up a few things and can't duplicate it

For me it would have to be a bourbon oaked vanilla porter I brewed that win several awards. Also made a great random clean the freezer hoppy wheat ipa thing that I wish I would have taken notes on because it was phenomenal but I have no idea what was in it

mkyl428 's Sunshine Rye Pale Ale
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=522728
This became my regular beer this year.
Brewed it multiple times both stock and with hop and yeast variations.
Great recipe!

I was reading over this at work the other day and have it planned for this next year! Glad to hear it is good!

2015 was one of the busiest years I've had so brewing was put on the backburner. I only brewed 4-5 times but I would have to say Zombie Dust was the best!

My favorite has to be my 'Batch50 Bock' that I did the last of 2014 and lagered for 3 months before bottling in March 2015(so I'm including it in 2015's total). In my not-so-humble opinion, this was a perfect Bock. Had one for dinner tonight, and brewed this year's version yesterday.
If interested, recipe can be found on 'www.brewtoad.com/recipes/batch-50-bock'.
Although, I have to admit that my 'RyeCentennial PA' done in May 2015 was pretty nice.

I only made 2 brews, and I hardly think the second-a stout, is ready just yet, but of the 4 samples I have had over 3 weeks in bottle, it has greatly improved :D So with that being said, my favorite was my first brew, which was a paulaner hefeweizen clone I found here on HBT. I tried the real thing at last years Oktoberfest (2014, I know last year is now 2015, lol). Anyways, I just like hefeweizens and it came out good. It tasted like I remembered, so that's good! There was a third brew that was technically brewed in 2015 but it's not even in the bottle yet, so I can't comment on that.

So with that being said, my favorite was my first brew, which was a paulaner hefeweizen clone I found here on HBT. I tried the real thing at last years Oktoberfest (2014, I know last year is now 2015, lol). Anyways, I just like hefeweizens and it came out good. It tasted like I remembered, so that's good!.

Mmm. Last time I had a Paulaner a local pub had it on tap and my friends, family, and I drank it all summer long while watching the world cup.

Havent had it since, but I miss it!

Munich Helles from brewing classic styles.... Turned out excellent and turned a friend on to drinking homebrew, although with the questions he has been asking he might be a Brewer soon.

2015 was the year of SMASH beers for me. My most successful were my Vienna/Nugget SMASH and my MO/Cascade SMaSH. Other than my favorite brew was a spinoff of @yooper s house pale ale.

THIS:

14.2 lbs great western 2 row
4 lbs munich 10L
1.2 lbs chocolate
1 lb crystal 90
.5 lb carafa III
1lb flaked oats
5oz light brown sugar
1oz columbus @ 60
1oz cascade @ 15

I added 4oz whole "craft" coffee beans and 3 vanilla beans to some vodka - later added to the finished product. one of the best, if not... blue ribbon for the year. this is a recipe for an imperial coffee porter, inspired by Victory at Sea.

runner up would be a lime/rosemary pale dry hopped w/ nelson.

A tie:

Imperial Brown Ale with Maple Syrup
Chocolate/Coffee Imperial Stout with homegrown peppers
Imperial Honey Saison with lemon and lime

I'll link if anyone wants to try them. At work so no access right now

Back