yeah, yeah, yeah, primary-only vs. secondary vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lot of people are bored over this debate (argument really). But I couldn't really find a comprehensive thread that gives very good points on the debate.

There's this sticky in the beginner beer brewing forum:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

but i really don't feel it's comprehensive enough, nor does it really do justice to both sides of the argument. anybody know of a thread that does? is it even possible to have such a thread on this forum?

The problem with the argument, and perhaps why it's boring to many, is that both sides are right. If you use good process and mitigate the risks of each method, then it becomes a personal choice and not a right vs. wrong debate. I think at the end of the day, it's that simple.

I personally stick to a primary-only method most of the time out of laziness and a desire for simplicity. But there are times when a secondary is helpful or necessary, and I have no qualms about using one when that's the case.

The problem with the argument, and perhaps why it's boring to many, is that both sides are right. If you use good process and mitigate the risks of each method, then it becomes a personal choice and not a right vs. wrong debate. I think at the end of the day, it's that simple.

I personally stick to a primary-only method most of the time out of laziness and a desire for simplicity. But there are times when a secondary is helpful or necessary, and I have no qualms about using one when that's the case.

This is what it boils down to. It's not right, nor wrong, to do either. Some people have done secondaries in the past and had bad results, others (me included) have done lots of secondary ferments and *never* had issues. (hell I use a turkey baster to start my siphons) I *only* do secondary ferments for beers I want to dry hop, beers I'm gonna put on fruit, and when I want to make room in my primary ferment vessel (SS tech brew bucket, I rarely have two beers in primary at the same time but will sometimes brew two weekends in a row so if one is at or near final gravity I just move it and put the new beer in the primary vessel).

There are times when secondary is absolutely necessary, aging beers, for example. There are times when it's borderline, such as dry-hopping (personally I always secondary for that) or adding fruit. There are times when it is unnecessary but usually harmless (some people take their beer off the primary after a week). Personally, I'd say that unless the beer is going to sit for a long time, 3+ weeks, or you are adding post-primary fermentation ingredients like dry hops or fruit, that using the secondary is unnecessary.

Back