Yeah, But I Got The Toilet Paper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampamark

Clowns to the left, jokers to the right
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
18C8C72C-C684-4964-8C5D-7245A0C1BA8A.jpeg

Well, every scar deserves a story. That’s mine and I’m stickin’ to it. As usual, the real story isn’t too exciting, but it’s why I’ve been AWOL for a few days.

TL;DR I got sick from some toxic grain dust, had a drug interaction issue, blacked out when my BP dropped and face planted on a hard surface floor.

Last week we were delivering some wheat from our farm to a grain elevator about 25 miles away. The wheat had quite a few seeds from a particular weed species which, in most years, is pretty easy to control. The weather during the growing season last year just happened to be favorable to this weed which enabled those plants to emerge later in the season so, some of the weed seeds ended up on the crop. After harvest we ran the aeration fans in the bins continuously, to keep the temp of the grain as close as possible to the outside air temp, to minimize the possibility of condensation from temp differential creating wet spots within the grain which could cause spontaneous fermentation.

Because the wheat which had some weed seeds in it went into the bin on top of previously harvested, weed free wheat, the weed seeds were near the top of the column of grain in the bin. The bins unload from the bottom. The grain on the top is pulled down through the center of the column of grain to the conveyor which empties the bin. The weed seeds had dried in storage but had formed clumps within the mass of wheat. These clumps would collect just above the gate through which the grain enters the conveyor stopping the flow of grain.

We devised a temporary discharge gate in the access door at the bottom of the bin so the grain would exit at a point where we could control the flow and also pull the clumps of weed seeds out of the way to keep the grain moving. This slowed the process down, and involved standing beside the discharge to drag the clumps of weed seeds out of the way with a hook made from a piece of steel rod. It also meant being exposed to the dust. My son and I were joking about not having access to dust masks because Coronavirus. I already had a cold and after loading two semis in this fashion I inhaled more than enough of the dust to do my lungs no favors.

Long story short, by the weekend I knew I needed to see a doc so we came to the city Saturday night. I was able to get a Sunday morning appointment at Billings Clinic, saw an NP, was diagnosed with a respiritory inflammation and given a breathing treatment, an inhaler and a script for Prednisone to reduce the inflammation. The NP said “I should test you for Coronavirus but we still have no test kits. We see thousands of people a day here, and should test each one, but we can’t”.

Went home, had lunch, took the Prednisone as directed, and took a nap. Woke up a few hours later, got out of the recliner and the lights went out. The BP meds I take and the Prednisone didn’t play well together. After an ambulance ride downtown, two CT scans, some other tests and 21 stitches later I got back home about 11PM. I didn’t have a TIA, have no blocked arteries, no brain bleeding or facial fractures. Oh, and on his way out of the room, after discharging me, the ER doc said “I should test you for Coronavirus but we have no test kits”. If anyone wants to see a large group of pissed-off professionals, visit your local hospital.

So I have some scars, and a story to tell. Oh, anybody wanna buy some TP? :D

Ouch! Damn! That’s a heck of a story!
Glad your ok (except for the eye and stitches) and thank you for your hard work to keep the grain flowing for all of us!

Edit: We’d test you for Corona, but don’t have any kits. :D

I wish that more people could read your story and realize how much hard work, engineering, and technical knowledge goes into growing and processing all the food we take buy without a second thought every day.
Nice shiner! Feel better soon.

I hope you heal up quick, glad it wasn't any worse. You look like hell but glad to see you back on HBT. Oh and thanks for your service in feeding us all, it is greatly appreciated.

Geez, now yer almost as pretty as me...

Seriously though, if you have to transfer a batch of grain (or anything else where you are breathing a lot of solids) an N-95 would be the minimum, and kind iffy for us w facial hair. Last time I looked cartridge respirators are still available.

I'd like to see you with an actual respirator next time you have to deal. Generally we only get one set o lungs, (and that grain dust doesn't even get you high. )

When I'm going to paint a truck or something, I usually shave so respirator seals better. But in any case, I'd advise never do that job again without good breathing protection. And for your son too.

And also, thanks for growing food and heal well.

you look different in person then i imagined.....get better, and i've 'felt' the absence in music match.....(and i got my, apple juice!! :))

I wish that more people could read your story and realize how much hard work, engineering, and technical knowledge goes into growing and processing all the food we take buy without a second thought every day.
Nice shiner! Feel better soon.
Thanks. The only reason I posted the long version of this tale is that I’m only too well aware of the fact that city folks, who make up almost 90% of the population, have absolutely no clue about what goes on around the farm. I’m sure that 90% of the members here will take one look at a long post and move on. But, a few might read it. Thanks for your support.

Geez, now yer almost as pretty as me...

Seriously though, if you have to transfer a batch of grain (or anything else where you are breathing a lot of solids) an N-95 would be the minimum, and kind iffy for us w facial hair. Last time I looked cartridge respirators are still available.

I'd like to see you with an actual respirator next time you have to deal. Generally we only get one set o lungs, (and that grain dust doesn't even get you high. )

When I'm going to paint a truck or something, I usually shave so respirator seals better. But in any case, I'd advise never do that job again without good breathing protection. And for your son too.

And also, thanks for growing food and heal well.

Oh, I know what was needed. We actually had a partial box of N-95 masks in the sleeper of one of the trucks. But, those masks were a couple of years old and the elastic straps had become brittle and simply crumbled when stretched. We had tried to find some masks locally but, as with most parts of the US, there simply aren’t any.

you look different in person then i imagined.....get better, and i've 'felt' the absence in music match.....(and i got my, apple juice!! :))
I look different than I imagine, too. :cool: If I have another beer, and look on the mirror, I bet I’ll look like Sean Connery.

Thanks. The only reason I posted the long version of this tale is that I’m only too well aware of the fact that city folks, who make up almost 90% of the population, have absolutely no clue about what goes on around the farm. I’m sure that 90% of the members here will take one look at a long post and move on. But, a few might read it. Thanks for your support.
I always enjoy reading your posts about what you do. I may not participate in the whole process, but I am incurably curious (and appreciative) about how everything in the world works, how the things I depend on come to be here. Heck, that's how I ended up a homebrewer!

And I always pictured you looking just about like that, but with fewer stitches and colors.

I'm pretty much a "city folk", but early life was in MN & SD. One of my babysitter's family had a dairy farm in MN, and I remember learning why walking barefoot thru a cow pasture was a bad idea. Also learned about milking cows (not by hand, they had machines.) There is a lot that goes into getting food to your table, and people don't appreciate that enough.

Brew on :mug:

...city folks, who make up almost 90% of the population, have absolutely no clue about what goes on around the farm.
Hey! I still watch Green Acres re-runs when I see they are on. Wtf? I know what's up! credit where credit's due!

My family in NW Alabama has for decades raised chickens for one of the big national brands, but were gradually squeezed out of business by increasingly stringent (and expensive) quality controls while at the same time trying to adapt to relentless downward pressure on what processors are willing to pay per pullet.

Apples, peanuts, pecans, tobacco, catfish, my kinfolk still raise whatever they can to make ends meet. Big AG is evil AF.

But as for me, I farm a cubicle.

Latest posts

Back