Ye Olde Pube Premium Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Here's my first crack at the first recipe I came up with for serving at my wedding on September 19. Keep in mind I'm serving to the BMC crowd--the candi syrup is meant to dry out the finish, keep it light and widely-appealing. I'm open to suggestions--but looking to keep it quick-fermenting and tasty to the masses. My candi syrup came from SnickASaurusRex's recipe for the 260*F maillard syrup, once diluted in 5 gallons I doubt it will affect color as much as beertools says.

Ordinary Bitter
August 7, 2009

Category English Pale Ale
Subcategory Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 6.5 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 7.00 lbs.
Total Hops 2.0 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 174.0
Cost to Brew $27.75 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.) $0.52 (USD)

5 lbs. Maris Otter Pale info
2 lbs. Candi Sugar Amber info
1.5 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 4.4 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
0.5 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 4.4 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
Yeast : Danstar London info

Predicted Special/Best/Premium Bitter Compliance
Original Gravity 1.044 1.040 - 1.048 100 %
Terminal Gravity 1.010 1.008 - 1.012 100 %
Color 18.68 °SRM 5.00 - 16.00 °SRM 76 %
Bitterness 33.7 IBU 25.00 - 40.00 IBU 100 %
Alcohol (%volume) 4.5 % 3.80 - 4.60 % 100 %
95 % overall

I was trying to figure out if that was an on purpose sexual innuendo because it is for his wedding night...or just a typo...:D

Anyone remember the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill "is that a pube on my coke can?" comment...or am I just old....

But the recipe does sound tasty and simple! :mug:

You're all right--I knew I had an extra "e" in there.

Ye Old Pube Premium Bitter.

Thanks for the feedback, all. Any suggestions for a better yeast? I'd shoot for some more appropriate hops but I'm trying to fire this recipe off this weekend and my Wills are all that I have on hand.

Should I expect a caramel flavor from the syrup--or will it only add lightness to the body, increase alcohol, and shift color?

Still wrong, try a little less curly there and go with Ye Olde Pub Ale and you will have a winner. The other way and it is kinda stinky, a little off putting and really needs to be cleaned up before the wedding

Still wrong, try a little less curly there and go with Ye Olde Pub Ale and you will have a winner. The other way and it is kinda stinky, a little off putting and really needs to be cleaned up before the wedding

Yes, thank you, Matt, that was the joke. Ye Olde Pub Ale. YOPA for short.

Anyone have any experience with SnickASaurusRex's maillard syrup in a brew like this?

It was a Family Guy joke! I can't belive nobody got that. Peter builds a bar in his basement and names it Ye Olde Pub, takes a second look, and changes it to Ye Old Pube

It's a good episode. Hopefully my recipe will live up to the legend.

Latest posts

Back