YASQ (Yet another starter question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jowens

Reaction score
I smacked my wyeast 1056 pack, and after a little less than a day it swelled up quite nicely. So I mixed up 500 ml water and 1/2 cup of DME, simmered it for 15 minutes, and waited for it to cool. I swirled, and shook for about a minute or so, I then sanitized the pack, opened it and dumped the contents into the flask.

It's been about 22 hours and I see some activity, but not a whole lot, what should I look for to tell me that it is ready to pitch so I can be ready to brew?

OP
J

jowens

Reaction score
Anybody? It looks like it has already flocculated, thick layer of yeast at the bottom? Temp was a little low for a while, but 24 hours is too soon for that build up isn't it?

Thalon

Reaction score
Starters can ferment quite fast. I've only done one so far and mine did the same thing, flocculated quickly and didn't krausen at all that I could tell. But I pitched it after 24 hours and fermentation took off nicely within about 6 hours. When you go to pitch it, pour off some/most of the liquid on top of the yeast cake and then shake it up real good to suspend the yeast in however much liquid is left.