Yarlington Mill cider query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DorsetSteve

Reaction score
Hi. I've been making cider for a few years now but only with what I apples I could scrounge from friends and family and its always been a bit hit and miss.
Last year a friend of mine gave me access to his cider apple orchard. Hands rubbed with joy.....finally I would be able to make some decent stuff.
Yarlington Mill, Kingston Black and Bulmers Norman and an unknown variety all pressed in November.
Kingston Black turned out perfect, starting SG was about 1060 and I stopped it at 1015. 6% ish ?
Bulmers Norman and unknown variety fermented right out out SG 1060 to 1000 dry and okish to taste.
Yarlington Sg started at 1054 and is still only around 1035. It tastes great, still fairly sweet but not very strong. Is it worth leaving any longer. I have read somewhere that YM is a slow fermenter.
Thought about blending with the BN.
Thoughts/advice anyone.
Cheers Steve

It should be better to have also info about acidity and tannins. How acid and tanic do you sample taste or better, have a TA mesureament of each one. After that you can make a better blending plan.

I'm somewhat puzzled about the fact that they all didn't ferment all the way dry. I've been making cider for years and the only time it doesn't finish dry is when I use WL 002 and it stops almost dry at 1.002.
What yeast did you use?
Also, since you have access to the orchard, make sure the apples tree-ripen for as long as possible and then store them in a cool place for a month or so before pressing.
Both Bulmer's Norman and Yarlington Mill are classified as bittersweet and are usually blended with other varieties.
Bittersweets usually make up 1/3 of a blend, you should be using some sharp and sweet apples as well. There's no exact blend recipe, it all depends on what apples you can get and what you are trying to make.
Here's a great presentation on blending:
http://www.cjoliprsf.ca/Documents/AppleBlendingCider.pdf

I'm somewhat puzzled about the fact that they all didn't ferment all the way dry. I've been making cider for years and the only time it doesn't finish dry is when I use WL 002 and it stops almost dry at 1.002.
What yeast did you use?
Also, since you have access to the orchard, make sure the apples tree-ripen for as long as possible and then store them in a cool place for a month or so before pressing.
Both Bulmer's Norman and Yarlington Mill are classified as bittersweet and are usually blended with other varieties.
Bittersweets usually make up 1/3 of a blend, you should be using some sharp and sweet apples as well. There's no exact blend recipe, it all depends on what apples you can get and what you are trying to make.
Here's a great presentation on blending:
http://www.cjoliprsf.ca/Documents/AppleBlendingCider.pdf
Thanks for for the reply. I didn't add any yeast. I've always made cider without it and its always fermented out, except this time. The apples were mostly droppers. Usually I leave it too long and the the cider is too dry.
As I said the YM tastes ok although a bit sweet and not not very alcoholic. Perhaps I should just accept it this year and enjoy it.

Hmmm. You could move it to a warmer location, and/or add a bit of yeast nutrient to see if that helps kick fermentation back into gear. I guess I have never heard of a particular apple being a slow fermenter, maybe its the yeast it attracts or attracted this year (?) since you are going the wild ferment route. 2.xx% ABV is pretty much just juice...

I guess I have never heard of a particular apple being a slow fermenter, maybe its the yeast it attracts or attracted this year

I somehow doubt yeast are motile and intelligent and long lived enough to pick and choose what apples they're on.

Anyway, low yeast assailable(available? Nitrogen(YAN)can provide a slow fermentation speed. Orchard practices will effect the amount of nitrogen in the apples to a large degree, so will soil quality, and tree age/size. But some varieties just take up less nitrogen than others. Speaking in general botanical/fermentation knowledge here, I don't know of any other examples.

+1 to this. The wild yeast in your Yarlington must be unusually inferior, as I too have never seen a natural cider finish much higher than about 1.002 or thereabouts. Most typical for mine is about 0.996-0.998. Your best bet might be to add a pack of wine yeast then let her rip for a month or two.

Hi All. Thanks for all your replies. Thought I should give you an update. I Pulled all 5 gallons of YM out of the garage and put them in my extension in full sun. Did the job. All 5 started fermenting again and produced a nice 4.5 - 5%. Looking forward to having a few pints :bigmug: CheeRS Steve

Back