Yankee or Dixie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Beerrific

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
5,537
Reaction score
61
Location
Georgia
54% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

That is where I would guess myslef being.
 

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,768
Reaction score
12,520
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
40% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

My results were slightly skewed, though. We don't have any freeways in the entire UP or upper half of Wisconsin, so I have no idea what that road would be called!
 

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
3,310
Reaction score
17
Location
People's Republic of Cambridge
40% but the thing is totally biased, if you look at where it says things are centered they are mostly either everywhere or in the south. There's nothing distinctly Northeastern about any of it (and I'm sorry, but that's where Yankees come from people).
 

Chad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
1,026
Reaction score
12
Location
Apex, NC
89% Dixie. Y'all must pronounce things funny :p

Chad
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
597
Location
Adams, MA
36% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

I had no idea that "Cabbage Night" was VT/Western MA-specific. Oh, and the "soda vs. pop" debate is great fun with my wife's Buffalo friends; thankfully, I've pretty much cured her of her "pop" crutch (I've also gotten her to be as big a Pats fan as a Bills, but that was EASY).
 

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
3,310
Reaction score
17
Location
People's Republic of Cambridge
the_bird said:
36% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

I had no idea that "Cabbage Night" was VT/Western MA-specific. Oh, and the "soda vs. pop" debate is great fun with my wife's Buffalo friends; thankfully, I've pretty much cured her of her "pop" crutch (I've also gotten her to be as big a Pats fan as a Bills, but that was EASY).
I'd never heard of cabbage night, hence I think the whole thing is a little bogus.
 

sause

Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Messages
1,862
Reaction score
19
Location
Menomonee Falls WI
37% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

I answered alot that said Great Lakes or Western Great Lakes except for the Soda question: AND IT'S SODA!!! It is also a bubbler.
 
OP
Alamo_Beer

Alamo_Beer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
15
Location
Manor, Tx
the_bird said:
Oh, and the "soda vs. pop" debate is great fun with my wife's Buffalo friends; thankfully, I've pretty much cured her of her "pop" crutch.

You mean a Coke? :D
 

Beerthoven

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
2,173
Reaction score
39
Location
Cary, NC
40% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

Born and raised in Michigan, and I'd like to move back again someday.

I've started saying "pop" again instead of "soda" just to annoy my wife. The kids think its funny and they say it now, too. :D
 
OP
Alamo_Beer

Alamo_Beer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
15
Location
Manor, Tx
I've got to admit, when I took it I didn't think I was going to be very southern bc almost all of the things said "said throughout the US" or some were even Great Lakes or Western Great Lakes which was weird...

My fiance who sent it to me got a 45% I guess bc she's from California... :D
 

Beerthoven

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
2,173
Reaction score
39
Location
Cary, NC
TheJadedDog said:
40% but the thing is totally biased, if you look at where it says things are centered they are mostly either everywhere or in the south. There's nothing distinctly Northeastern about any of it (and I'm sorry, but that's where Yankees come from people).
Not true. I had several responses that were "Common to the Great Lakes" or some such thing. One came up "Used Heavily in Michigan." I think that was the "pop" one.
 

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
3,310
Reaction score
17
Location
People's Republic of Cambridge
Beerthoven said:
Not true. I had several responses that were "Common to the Great Lakes" or some such thing. One came up "Used Heavily in Michigan." I think that was the "pop" one.
I guess what I meant was that there is very little that was used heavily in the northeast, which is where Yankees are from. No offense to Michigan and the Great Lakes region, but you're not Yankees anymore than Arizona is part of Dixie; know what I mean?
 

shunoshi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
426
Reaction score
3
Location
Hopkins, MN
40% Yankee! Guess that fits with being a Minnesotan.


Oh...and it IS pop. Soda is what you mix with scotch. :p
 

Zymurgrafi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
2,426
Reaction score
18
Location
NEK, VT
TheJadedDog said:
I'd never heard of cabbage night, hence I think the whole thing is a little bogus.

It ain't bogus just cause you ain't (;) ) heard of it.

Phew. I was starting to think I was crazy. Nobody I know seems to know about cabbage night. Kinda glad though. Hate to have to clean up afterwards.

oh and 37% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.
 

sdhucks7

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Messages
310
Reaction score
0
Location
OKC
75% Dixie. Dang i guess my friends are right i am a Hillbilly.


SD
 

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
3,310
Reaction score
17
Location
People's Republic of Cambridge
zero said:
It ain't bogus just cause you ain't (;) ) heard of it.

Phew. I was starting to think I was crazy. Nobody I know seems to know about cabbage night. Kinda glad though. Hate to have to clean up afterwards.

oh and 37% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.
I didn't mean Cabbage night was bogus, I meant the test.
 

jdoiv

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
8
Location
Nashville, TN
69% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

Funny thing is, most people think I'm not a native Nashvillian, which I am. They all think I'm from Indiana or somewhere.
 

McKBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
8,186
Reaction score
43
Location
Hayden
54% Dixie. Even though I grew up mostly in Michigan and have lived on the west coast. Must be a bit of red-neck in me. Ye-haw.
 

Flyin' Lion

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
1,952
Reaction score
22
Location
Chester, VA
TheJadedDog said:
No offense to Michigan and the Great Lakes region, but you're not Yankees anymore than Arizona is part of Dixie; know what I mean?
Not to people in the South, especially certain types in Richmond. Anyone from up North is a Yankee (including us Michiganders).

51% Dixie, but I'm not buying the results.
 

Chad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
1,026
Reaction score
12
Location
Apex, NC
bigjohnmilford said:
I think I got 50% on that one. None of the people really had a regional accent.
And a couple of them sounded like they had minor speech impediments, making it doubly difficult to determine.
 

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
7,505
Reaction score
187
Location
Eldorado, WI
35%. A definitive Yankee. I wasn't surprised. I mean really- It's soda, and they're called bubblers. And BTW a-u-n-t rhymes with caught, although most cheeseheads not from the Holyland would probably disagree with me.
 

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
2,295
Reaction score
26
Location
Seattle, WA
57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

which is good because I hate the Yankees!
no_yanks.jpg
;)
 

Beerthoven

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
2,173
Reaction score
39
Location
Cary, NC
Flyin' Lion said:
Not to people in the South, especially certain types in Richmond. Anyone from up North is a Yankee (including us Michiganders).
+1. That's true in NC as well.

I live in Cary, NC, also known as Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. It wasn't the people who moved here who gave the town that title.
 
Top