Yakb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcangeli

Reaction score
Thats right! Its Yet Another Keezer Build! :ban:

I had been going back and forth between a collar or a coffin and I've decided to do a full coffin with paneling. I picked the freezer up on Saturday. found it on CL for $70. It looks like it will hold 4 5gal kegs which was my plan all along.

This will document the build. I was going to use the guide by AssistantBrewer (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/) to set the temp in the freezer then monitor it with kegbot. however after attempting that today, it does not appear to have the screw needed so I'll be using an STC-1000 to handle the temps.

The plan is for 4 taps, monitored with kegbot and flow sensors (i considered using kegbot and solenoids to control access as well, but I'm not too concerned with that at the moment...)

I'll update the thread as I go a long. First steps are getting the temp set right (around 37 - 40 f) and then building the frame for it...

1077018_10151665367152900_1906729113_o.jpg

Ok, so SWMBO and I were on different pages and I've been told my plans of putting it in the finished basement isn't going to happen... so no longer going with the coffin build and instead I'm going to collar it... heading to the store tomorrow to select some wood...

mcangeli said:
Ok, so SWMBO and I were on different pages and I've been told my plans of putting it in the finished basement isn't going to happen... so no longer going with the coffin build and instead I'm going to collar it... heading to the store tomorrow to select some wood...

Good luck man. I walkways love when SWMBO trumps an idea.

"Good luck man. I walkways love when SWMBO trumps an idea."
Great first post, LOL
Good luck with your build, make it good enough looking to put it in the main living quarters.

I just realized it said "walkways"... meant to say "always" but I'm sure everyone got that.

Its apparently going to live in our garage (right next to the freezer with the food in it)...

I'll post photos along the way.

Working on my lunch, I was able to get the STC-1000 working properly. Its now in the process of adjusting the freezer down to ~38 degrees F (3.3 degrees C) so I'll check it again when I'm home. In addition to the STC-1000 I picked up on amazon for ~$20, I added an enclosure for the outlet I'm using. I had the long cable already so all told, the temp controller cost ~$30 pushing the build to $100 at the moment.

I also picked up 4 3" casters from lowes ~$20 total) and built a cart for the freezer to sit on so I can roll it around easy. The cart is simply three 2x4's in the shape of an I. I did have to add a little bit of wood to level it out due to the way Magic Chef has legs and the compressor mounted.

I'll be working on the collar next and then insulating. In the meantime, it can hold beer just fine... :)

20130730_131529.jpg

20130730_131536.jpg

How did this turn out. I'm goingto be building my keezer soon here. I ordered a Rasberry Pi and an aurdino board for kegbot.

I haven't done the kegbot portion yet but the rest of the keeper is done and has its first tapped keg.

ForumRunner_20131122_124637.png

ForumRunner_20131122_124657.png

Back