Xylitol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D the Catastrophist

Reaction score
Just saw an article on this, and I know a bunch of people use Xylitol as a non-fermentable sweetener in their wines before bottling:

https://www.wfmj.com/story/50872939...tack-and-stroke?clienttype=mobile&config=H264

"The new study found that high levels of circulating xylitol were associated with an elevated three-year risk of cardiovascular events in an analysis of more than 3,000 patients in the U.S. and Europe.

One-third of patients with the highest amount of xylitol in their plasma were more likely to experience a cardiovascular event.

To confirm the findings, the research team conducted pre-clinical testing and found that xylitol caused platelets to clot and heightened the risk of thrombosis. Researchers also tracked platelet activity from people who ingested a xylitol-sweetened drink versus a glucose-sweetened drink and found that every measure of clotting ability significantly
increased immediately following ingestion of xylitol but not glucose."

Obviously, amounts matter and correlation =/= causation, but it's just something to keep in mind. I suspect just drinking wine that has it is probably not a significant risk, but wine plus other drinks or foods/sweets is when you start having issues. So just something to be aware of, especially if diabetic and consuming artificial sweeteners to avoid sugar...I will see if I can track down the actual study and post a link.

Last edited:
Back