XXX Vegan ****** Cookies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You lost me at "vegan". Goddamned hippies.

Oh, and the other problem is that those "bushes" look pretty trimmed---but you know there's nary a vegan on this planet that isn't also a hairy-legged hippy...so I'm not sure those vegans would know what they're looking at ;)

I'd like to think this vegan maintains her cookie...

natalie-portman.jpg

but she's vegan only cause its a fad...

I personally think being vegan would be a pain in the ass. I mean really... NO animal products? What the hell do they eat? Salad and peanut butter their entire life?

It really isn't all that big a deal to eat vegan, although it helps if you really like to cook. Most TexMex can be made vegan, ditto Italian, most Indian food is already vegan. Even eating out, unless you go to an all-American steak house, there are vegan options. There's a lot of noise about balanced protein & such, but B12 is the biggest worry, followed by iron. A homebrew a day covers both.:mug:

Evan! said:
You lost me at "vegan". Goddamned hippies.

Oh, and the other problem is that those "bushes" look pretty trimmed---but you know there's nary a vegan on this planet that isn't also a hairy-legged hippy...so I'm not sure those vegans would know what they're looking at ;)

wait, does that mean you guys shave your legs? Will you love me if I shave mine too?
I just wanna fit in!

;)

david_42 said:
It really isn't all that big a deal to eat vegan, although it helps if you really like to cook. Most TexMex can be made vegan, ditto Italian, most Indian food is already vegan. Even eating out, unless you go to an all-American steak house, there are vegan options. There's a lot of noise about balanced protein & such, but B12 is the biggest worry, followed by iron. A homebrew a day covers both.:mug:

I have a couple vegan friends and their biggest problem with eating out isn't finding a dish that has no animal products in it, it's finding a restaurant that has a vegan friendly kitchen, i.e, separate pots, pans, utensils that are never used for non-vegan food.

david_42 said:

What you left out was that it can be made CRAPPY vegan.

c.n.budz said:
I have a couple vegan friends and their biggest problem with eating out isn't finding a dish that has no animal products in it, it's finding a restaurant that has a vegan friendly kitchen, i.e, separate pots, pans, utensils that are never used for non-vegan food.

Ok now that is taking it to the unnecessary extreme. And they are just making it hard or them selves and being a pain in the ass for every one else. What exactly do they think is going to transfer over to there food? They know utensils get washed or at the very least rinsed. You can’t have flavors crossing dishes anyway.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you have touched a nerve with this kind of food pickiness. And I must state that I have no problem with vegetarians my SWMBO is one, and I cook for her all the time.

g_rath said:
Ok now that is taking it to the unnecessary extreme. And they are just making it hard or them selves and being a pain in the ass for every one else. What exactly do they think is going to transfer over to there food? They know utensils get washed or at the very least rinsed. You can’t have flavors crossing dishes anyway.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you have touched a nerve with this kind of food pickiness. And I must state that I have no problem with vegetarians my SWMBO is one, and I cook for her all the time.

You're preaching to the choir there reverend... I won't go out to dinner with them anymore, it's just too much of a PITA and they make so many demands of the kitchen staff I was always afraid my food would get spit in. But, as they have explained to me, it's no different from adhering to a strict Kosher diet when it comes to preperation. And, vegetarian and vegan are definitely not the same.

At least kosher has a religious meaning behind it. What does that have, the "I want to be special by being a PITA" effect?
If there is a vegan out there that can explain this to me/us please do. I really do want to know if there is a logical reason for it. “I just don’t want it to touch my stuff” doesn’t cut it.

g_rath said:
At least kosher has a religious meaning behind it. What does that have, the "I want to be special by being a PITA" effect?
If there is a vegan out there that can explain this to me/us please do. I really do want to know if there is a logical reason for it. “I just don’t want it to touch my stuff” doesn’t cut it.

Normally I'm the last person to defend vegans, but since the ones in question are very good friends of mine I guess I'll pass along the info I have.

Most vegans are this way due to moral objections to animals being harmed in any way, shape, or form. To them it might as well be religious. An analogy that my friends used was "Using the same knife that just cut up meat to cut our vegetables is no different to us than having our food prepared with a murder weapon."

Now, I'm going to cook up a nice rare steak...

c.n.budz said:
An analogy that my friends used was "Using the same knife that just cut up meat to cut our vegetables is no different to us than having our food prepared with a murder weapon."

Yes, but what do they have to say about the screams from the vegetables that are yanked from their homes, thrown on a truck with others, only to be hosed down with cold water before being chopped, sliced, pureed, and dropped in boiling water only to be consumed by omnivores.

That sounds pretty immoral to me. :D

EdWort said:
Yes, but what do they have to say about the screams from the vegetables that are yanked from their homes, thrown on a truck with others, only to be hosed down with cold water before being chopped, sliced, pureed, and dropped in boiling water only to be consumed by omnivores.

I've asked them that before and they always say "plants can't feel pain"

Personally, I'm not buying it...

My main reason for giving up meat was the animals' living conditions. Morals aside, its just plain disgusting. I'm eating chicken now though, more out of necessity...

This may sound a bit strange, but hear me out. I put vegans and gay people in the same category. I DON'T CARE!

You can be a vegan or a gay person all you want. I just don't want to hear about it. I'm not likely to understand your logic, I'm not going to buy into your "statement," and/or I'm not willing to provide an audience to your little attention getting scheme. I don't go around preaching about my hetero-ism or my omnivorous diet, so why should I listen to blatherings about your preferences?

F'em! sick f*&%ing bastards! Vegans should be strapped down and fed only 100% USDA Prime beef ....RARE! screw them hippy FU@KS!!!!! Nothing pisses me off more than a waste of a human. grow up for jimmeny christmas. beef is what you crave!!!!
well beef and a beer anyway. If I thought there was some way to combine beer and animal products I'd be drinking "Skinned Kitty IPA" or "cute little puppy ESB" The world is ours to dominate (that includes you PU55y @ss vegans!)

EdWort said:

Carrot hugger....

MULE said:
Darn if I don't want a T-bone steak right now.......
mmm sounds good.
anyway my cousin is a vegan and every time i see him he has his own food with him. so every time we have a family dinner he doesnt eat, which is no problem of mine(more for me). now what does get me is that the family goes out of its way to provide for his "needs", then they grumble about why he cant eat the cookies, and then talk about how great it is that hes vegan in the first place. hell i remember when he was eating meat lovers pizza about 10 years ago.
lets face it animals are not as good as us humans.( taste wise i dont know) and i will continue to eat any animal cooked right and put in front of my face. at least until said animal learns to engineer an automatic transmission.

Research shows that we all eat many insects unknowingly every year.
Do the spiders count any less?
(ok, it's not true about accidentally eating spiders in our sleep, but if they eat any vaguely processed food at all, there is some insect in there, and maybe a rodent bit or two.)

Germey said:
Research shows that we all eat many insects unknowingly every year.
Do the spiders count any less?
(ok, it's not true about accidentally eating spiders in our sleep, but if they eat any vaguely processed food at all, there is some insect in there, and maybe a rodent bit or two.)
mmmm..... extra protein!!

Salads are only good if they have bacon in them. Come to think of it, everything is better with bacon. mmmmmmmmm bacon!

Yuri_Rage said:
This may sound a bit strange, but hear me out. I put vegans and gay people in the same category. I DON'T CARE!

OK, but what about gay vegans? :drunk:

My sister-in-law is a vegan. She used to love meat until she watched a Discovery channel special or something and started crying over how chickens are raised before they're shipped off to KFC. Since that day she's sworn off meat, claiming animal rights.

I casually remind her before we go out that if it weren't for our consumption of beef, we would have long since made bovine-kind extinct.

I don't get vegans, but I do understand vegetarianism since I was raised as one. Immitation food sucks (soy hot dogs or veggie burgers?) but vegitarian dishes rule (vegetable lasagna!). Vegitarian lasagna is really good with chicken. :)

Threads like this are very eye opening about the personalities of the individuals who make up this forum. Man, I never realized there was so much fear, hatred and intolarence surging here.

Must be all that excess testosterone!

:rolleyes:

go have an imperial IPA and balance it with some estrogen...

c.n.budz said:
Most vegans are this way due to moral objections to animals being harmed in any way, shape, or form. To them it might as well be religious. An analogy that my friends used was "Using the same knife that just cut up meat to cut our vegetables is no different to us than having our food prepared with a murder weapon."

Yeah, I'm curious about this, what about getting french fries from a restaurant? They fry them in the same oil as the fish, shrimp, buffalo wings. Having cooked in restaurants I know many "vegetarian or vegan" dished got prepared with butter, the rice was cooked with chicken broth, etc. Many cosmetics are made from recycled grease which includes tons of animal fats. I'm not at all trying to mock here, I'm just curious where the line is drawn.

zero said:
Threads like this are very eye opening about the personalities of the individuals who make up this forum. Man, I never realized there was so much fear, hatred and intolarence surging here.

Must be all that excess testosterone!

:rolleyes:

go have an imperial IPA and balance it with some estrogen...

Long live hatred and intolerance! For hatred and intolerance of stupid ideas only serves to make us smarter.

we hate and do not tolerate murder... Is that such a bad thing? As far as fear, I fear little outside an angry mob of stupid people (commonly known as the Government)

Brewing Clamper said:
Yeah, I'm curious about this, what about getting french fries from a restaurant? They fry them in the same oil as the fish, shrimp, buffalo wings. Having cooked in restaurants I know many "vegetarian or vegan" dished got prepared with butter, the rice was cooked with chicken broth, etc. Many cosmetics are made from recycled grease which includes tons of animal fats. I'm not at all trying to mock here, I'm just curious where the line is drawn.

That's pretty much why my vegan friends are such PITAs about going out, so many places will say "sure it's vegan" and there's chicken broth, etc. in the food. As for cosmetics, etc. they go to vegan specialty shops for that kind of stuff.

Seabee John said:
Long live hatred and intolerance! For hatred and intolerance of stupid ideas only serves to make us smarter.

we hate and do not tolerate murder... Is that such a bad thing? As far as fear, I fear little outside an angry mob of stupid people (commonly known as the Government)

wow.

I am...

wow.

What to say to that? I find sentiments like that DEEPLY troubling. I have to say, my jaw dropped and my heart sank reading that. Very sobering to say the least.

The anger here has really given me pause today and made me consider my own anger. It ain't pretty. Here's hoping we all find some equanimity in this world for all of our sakes.

Wish I could keep my nose out of these type threads. I guess I keep hoping for the best in human nature to triumph. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back