Xmas Ale with Irish Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
Anyone try an xmas ale with irish ale yeast? I just kegged my Irish Stout and looking to use the yeast in something else soon, next batch I need to brew is a xmas for july so wondering it would work ok?

Irish ale yeast is pretty neutral, so it's pretty versatile. If it gives you a little ester production, that'll probably blend well with a complicated spice profile. So yes, I think you should be good with that. (The only reason to use a different yeast would be if you really want some particular "spice" or other yeast quality from a Belgian yeast.)

It should work fine. As the previous poster mentioned, it's a fairly neutral ale strain. As such, it should would work well in almost any ale unless you needed some interesting fermentation byproducts (banana esters as in a hefe, the phenolic "spicy" kick of a Belgian ale strain, etc.).
In addition, it's moderately attenuative, so it should leave enough body/sweetness for an Xmas ale.

Chris Colby
Editor
Beer and Wine Journal
beerandwinejournal.com

Back