X-wein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey971

Reaction score
So I just stumbled across the monster of a thread that is "Man, I love Apfelwein."
After reading WAY too many pages, I decided it sounded too easy and
high-gravity not to try.

My question is, could this recipe be used with any other kinds of juice?
Or maybe a cocktail of several different kinds?

I assume someone has tried or knows of a reason not to,
but if not I may have to take the plunge.

Thanks. :mug:

tried a half gallon of white grapefruit and a pack of wine yeast last week pretty much because i was bored on and the grocery had the juice on sale. it was fun to watch the packet of lalvin wine yeast ferment the whole think out in like a day but i don't recommend it for drinking as it tasted like a jug full of sulfur when i tried a little on sunday. :rockin::rockin:

tried a half gallon of white grapefruit and a pack of wine yeast last week pretty much because i was bored on and the grocery had the juice on sale. it was fun to watch the packet of lalvin wine yeast ferment the whole think out in like a day but i don't recommend it for drinking as it tasted like a jug full of sulfur when i tried a little on sunday. :rockin::rockin:

It tasted like crap because it wasn't even close to being ready to drink. You can't make good tasting wine in under two weeks. You need to think about months instead of weeks. Leave the thing set for month or two then give it a taste. If its not crystal clear don't bother with it yet.

It tasted like crap because it wasn't even close to be ready to drink. You can't make good tasting wine in under two weeks. You need to think about months instead of weeks. Leave the thing set for month or two then give it a taste. If its not crystal clear don't bother with it yet.

So you think it might be possible to make other simple "wines" using that method?

I suppose if I tried a 2.5 gal batch, it wouldn't really matter if it ended
up in the sink!

When I get back from Florida, I'm gonna have to give it a try.

:mug:

So you think it might be possible to make other simple "wines" using that method?

I suppose if I tried a 2.5 gal batch, it wouldn't really matter if it ended
up in the sink!

When I get back from Florida, I'm gonna have to give it a try.

:mug:

Definitely, there are tons of people who have made 1 gallon batches with great success. Just don't try to rush it, let it ferment completely out until the gravity is at 0.000. As I said earlier it should be clear and show evidence of settling.

hey, i was just playin' around to see what would happen. no wine experience at all, just using some stuff i got in a bulk purchase. can you say OVERPITCHED???. BIG TIME HOLMES!! Anyway, should i try to transfer this and de-gas it? it was chock full of heavy precipitate from the store, and i now have about a 2" trub buildup in a 48oz bottle, but in no way shape or form expect to get a "clear" end product. I don;t really care about end product as it was just a fun thing to do, but if it can be salvaged, i will try.

Back