X-Mas Brown Ale Spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
I'm brewing a brown ale tomorrow to have ready for Christmas. I'm adding 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp allspice, and 3 cloves. I planed on adding them all in the boil with five minutes remaining. My questions are:

1. Would you add the ingredients at different time intervals or all at once?

2. Would you use different amounts? This is for a five gallon batch.

3. Are there other ingredients that you would add. I have some coriander laying around.

I'm brewing a brown ale tomorrow to have ready for Christmas. I'm adding 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp allspice, and 3 cloves. I planed on adding them all in the boil with five minutes remaining. My questions are:

1. Would you add the ingredients at different time intervals or all at once?

2. Would you use different amounts? This is for a five gallon batch.

3. Are there other ingredients that you would add. I have some coriander laying around.

I brewed a Christmas Ale a few weeks ago and I am adding all of my spices at bottling time.

I feel like adding them in the boil and having them in the beer for weeks before consumption might make them overpowering by the time you drink them.

That's just my two cents.

Back