Wyest 1056 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully20331

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I could definitely use some help from people who have dealt with this strain before...

I just made a Pale Ale(yesterday) and pitched a 1L starter of 1056 in at 72 degrees. Since, the stick on thermometer has continued to read 72 degrees and fermentation has definitely kicked in (visually via the airlock). My worry is that this it too high, although the company lists fermentation temp at 60-72. Unfortunately, I am traveling for business and wont be home for a week to make a swamp cooler and drop the temp. My buddy has gone over and at least placed the bucket in some cold water and will likely put some ice in over the next few days. My question is- Should I expect some off flavors or alcohol taste since this was a high fermentation? Or, since I am having a friend take action to at least lower it a bit, am I fine because I am catching it early?

I really like to keep my batches with 1056 around 66 degrees. I've had it work well at 72-76 degrees. Since this is a pale ale, if you do get some esters coming through they might very well match the style :) All in all, I'd say you're fine though. Good buddy you've got too. You owe him a beer ;)

Thanks for the insight, Im still going to have him try and drop it a bit, if possible. And he drinks all my beer anyways, so I consider this adequate compensation!

Should I expect some off flavors or alcohol taste since this was a high fermentation?

At around 72F, 1056 can be awful hit and miss. It really depends on the beer.

I expect it will be very drinkable, but if anything seems amiss, you'll probably know the source.

To go along with the bucket it's in, might have him throw a 2 liter soda bottle in the freezer (fill it up 2/3 of the way with water) overnight. Then next time he has to dump ice, he just drops an ice bottle in there. I do this in a giant picnic freezer bag once every morning to keep my temps down to 66. Another suggestion is to have him cover the carboy in an old tshirt, letting the bottom drape down into the water. That apparently helps to keep the carboy cool too.

Don't forget to reply to this in a few weeks and update us on how it turned out :)

Thanks for the help guys. Another question he asked me- does the thermostrip on the side of the fermenter tell me the inside temp, or the water temp?? I ask this because that temp is now 66.

Moreover, this change was all done over 3 hrs, so does the drastic drop in temp throw off the yeast and dope them out of suspension or am I okay? I figured since I did a starter and caught this temp within 8 hrs of fermentation starting that I am okay.

Thermostrip is going to be very close to the internal temperature. It /may/ run a bit higher if there is discrepancy between internal and external. My guess is that it's very close to internal. No, the drastic drop in temperature will not affect things too adversely. If you get that temp UNDER the minimum recommended, the yeast may well drop out of suspension early. Your gut instinct is right on. Things are ok :)

Back