Wyeat 2124 Bohemian Pilsner Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the mist of brewing a Bohemian Pilsner. I smacked the pack before I started this morning, and it has not swollen at all. It's been about 3 hours. It will probably be at least another two before I need to pitch it, but I'm worried. Not sure what to do. The date is April '09, I know that is more than the recommended six months, but I would have thought it would be ok.

Should I make a run to the LHBS and get another pack?

I hear lagers need bunch more yeast to pitch properly. You might want to grab two packs of dry lager yeast since you don't have time to make a starter.

I dunno. If you are not using a starter it would not hurt to get a second pack but you may be able to get away with just the one. You certain you broke the membrane inside the packet? If you are shake the packet about 60 times every 30-60 minutes. This will get the yeast going and the packet will swell up.

Invest in a stir plate and you won't have to worry about this ever again. Montanaandy

Yup, I was certain the pack broke. Isn't it the idea of the smack pack so that you don't have to make a starter? That's why I bought the smack pack.

Anyway...I ended up getting a pack of SafLager W-34/70 Weihenstephan yeast and pitched both of them.

Whether you need to make a starter with liquid yeast is technically what the OG is that you will be brewing. From a practical standpoint, it is always good to make a starter when brewing with liquid yeast and it is a must if you are using liquid yeast to make a high gravity brew. At least this has been my experience. Montanaandy

Latest posts

Back